Newcastle chiefs have reportedly been left furious with Liverpool over their failed approach to sign Alexander Isak. The Reds have been chasing his signature for a number of weeks, having initially reached out to the Magpies last month. They submitted their first official bid on Friday but it was immediately turned down by the Tyneside club.
Liverpool were said to have tabled an offer in the region of £110million but Newcastle were quick to rebuff their advances. It has since been reported that a second bid will not be forthcoming, with the Reds having pulled out of negotiations. Newcastle have made it clear that Isak, who is desperate to join Liverpool, is valued at £150m.
Club chiefs have been left 'baffled and angry' with the way the Reds have approached things, according to the Daily Mail.
They are said to be furious that Liverpool submitted a lowball offer, which they knew was going to be rejected, before walking away. Senior figures reportedly believe Isak has been 'strung along' and 'left high and dry' by the club he wants to join.
Others are convinced that Anfield chiefs only made the offer to 'save face' and placate Isak and his camp, who are doing everything in their power to force the move through.
The report adds that if Liverpool decide to return to the table at a later date, Newcastle would only consider selling Isak in exchange for a 'fair financial package'. They would also need to have a replacement lined up for the move to go ahead.
Isak has reportedly been told that he is 'going nowhere' unless Liverpool come back in with an offer which aligns more closely with Newcastle's asking price.
The striker was left out of the Newcastle squad which travelled to the Far East for games against Arsenal, Tottenham and a K-League XI. He has since travelled to Spain to prepare for the new season at Real Sociedad's training facilities.
Newcastle are said to be eyeing Ollie Watkins as a potential replacement for Isak, who remains tied down until the summer of 2028.
Watkins was linked with Manchester United earlier in the window, but the Red Devils are now pushing to land Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig instead.
Last month, Newcastle were close to signing Hugo Ekitike before Liverpool swooped in to land him for themselves. They previously missed out on deals for Liam Delap and Joao Pedro. More recently, they have seen a bid rejected for Brentford forward Yoane Wissa.
The latter is refusing to train with the Bees and is said to be keen on moving to Newcastle, with negotiations still believed to be ongoing.
MORE TO FOLLOW
We'll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures, and video on this breaking news story.
Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport - the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account - providing real news in real-time.
We're also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport - offering your must-see news, features, videos, and pictures throughout the day to like, comment, and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express, and Express.co.uk.