Chelsea are due back at Cobham on Mondayplaceholder image
Chelsea are due back at Cobham on Monday | Getty Images
All the latest news and transfer rumours surrounding Chelsea as they near a pre-season return.
Chelsea are now days away from returning to pre-season training after a couple of weeks off on the back of the FIFA Club World Cup. The Blues are back at Cobham on Monday as they look to get back into the swing of things, and there are just a couple of friendlies for Enzo Maresca’s men to tick off before the start of the new season.
In the meantime, Chelsea are still pushing for new signings after wrapping up three attackers early in the window. Here we round up all the latest news and transfer rumours surrounding Stamford Bridge.
Simons hold-up
Chelsea need to sell someone like Christopher Nkunku if they want to sign Xavi Simons from RB Leipzig this summer, according to Matt Law. who told A Chelsea FC Podcast: “Had Chelsea sold Christopher Nkunku or someone from the first team group last week for instance [there would have been progress on Simons],” Law explained.
“The sale of Joao Felix helped unlock things a bit, but I still think they feel they need to make from proper room within the first team group… if Nkunku had gone last week, Simons could have come in earlier than Hato. But they do want to be sure of some outs before they go all in on Simons.”
Garnacho ‘wants’ Chelsea move
Chelsea are also said to be keen on Manchester United winger Alejandro Garnacho, and it has been reported that the winger has his heart set on a move to Stamford Bridge. Fabrizio Romano has reported that Stamford Bridge is Garnacho’s preferred destination as he looks to secure a move, with United having already given him permission to find a new club.
The problem for Chelsea is that with Hato and Simons the next two targets, they are going to have to commission significant sales before they can wrap up another big deal like Garnacho, and so the transfer is not likely until towards the end of the window.
Maresca pressure warning
Jeff Sterling has warned that Maresca might be in trouble if Chelsea get off to a tough start amid a tricky fixture list. Sterling said on TalkSport: “You might not agree with this – and sorry Chelsea fans. Club World Cup winners and spending a fortune, Enzo Maresca needs to deliver. He’s now under pressure because there’s expectation on him.
“They have four London derbies in their first four games and then Manchester United away, Brighton at home, Liverpool at home and Nottingham Forest away. It’s a tough, tough start and they’ve not had much of a break [over the summer]. If they start poorly, I think people will be saying, “We expect more than that” – because people do expect more of Chelsea now.
“As Club World Cup winners, going out there and doing brilliantly… Chelsea will be expected to produce in the Premier League and so will Maresca. I’m not saying he’s going to be sacked after eight games and in actual fact they might have a terrific start. They could win them all – but if they don’t – I’m just saying he’d be under pressure.”
Continue Reading