geordiebootboys.com

Eddie Howe issues new update after fresh reports emerge about Benjamin Sesko and Newcastle

Eddie Howe did not confirm or deny reports that Benjamin Sesko had agreed to join Newcastle United in the wake of Liverpool’s rejected bid for Alexander Isak.

Newcastle are interested in Sesko as a potential Isak replacement, with Liverpool having an opening offer snubbed by the Magpies on Friday.

Now, Liverpool could walk away from the Isak deal, although it remains to be seen if the Sweden star will be allowed to go if Newcastle were to sign a player as high-profile as Sesko.

While Newcastle have feared Sesko will join Manchester United, unconfirmed reports from his native Slovenia suggest the forward is open to moving to St James’ Park.

Delo claim that Sesko has agreed to join Newcastle, who still need to agree a fee with RB Leipzig.

Naturally, Howe was asked about the situation while the club’s pre-season tour continued onto Seoul.

Benjamin Sesko warms up ahead of RB Leipzig's game against Werder Bremen.

Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Eddie Howe’s response to shock Benjamin Sesko reports

Speaking to The Chronicle, the Newcastle United manager proved evasive.

Howe did not deny the reports, but did insist he wasn’t on top of the situation as things stand.

MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES

He added that he’s not the one dealing with transfer talks and is instead focusing on training his side ahead of their friendly against Tottenham on Sunday.

“I am sorry to sound like a broken record, I am aware of what is happening but I am not dealing with it. I woke up today and had two training sessions then came straight here,” he said.

“I am finding out what is happening after it has happened, so we will try to bring the best to the football club – I will make that clear – but I can’t talk about individual targets.”

What is Benjamin Sesko’s style of play?

The forward scored 21 goals in 45 games last season, although Newcastle still feel Sesko needs to improve.

Still, he’s only 22, and Howe certainly has a track record when it comes to yielding huge improvements out of forwards.

Isak, while talented, wasn’t exactly considered one of the very best in the world when he arrived at Newcastle from Real Sociedad in 2022.

Former Leipzig technical director Christopher Vivell, who now works as a director of recruitment at Manchester United, has previously explained Sesko’s style of play.

He said (via the Bundesliga official website): “Benjamin Sesko is among the game’s top young talents and has enormous potential to become a top player.

“He has all the qualities to do that. He’s extremely quick, has a great jump on him and is strong in the air. Benjamin is a real goalscorer, who despite his 1.95m (6’4″) is mobile and technically strong. His abilities make him a special player with a special profile.”

Read full news in source page