The latest Newcastle United transfer news amid speculation around RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko.
Benjamin Sesko in action for RB Leipzig.
Benjamin Sesko in action for RB Leipzig.(Image: Getty Images)
Newcastle United want to sign Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig this summer. The 22-year-old striker has emerged as Eddie Howe's top target for the No.9 position after scoring 21 goals in 45 matches for Leipzig last season.
Manchester United are among the other interested parties - but the Magpies are determined to win that race and convince the Slovenia international to choose them and sign for Howe's side.
Two Public Investment Fund (PIF) officials are travelling with the team in Seoul, South Korea, and have been on-hand to get quick answers on potential transfers. The Saudi-backed owners remain right behind the club's bid to make Newcastle a permanent fixture in the Premier League top table.
Signing Sesko is not a definite sign that Alexander Isak has been granted permission to join Liverpool after Howe said on Saturday morning that he's hoping to keep hold of the Sweden international.
Here, ChronicleLive has taken a look at the latest around Sesko's future;
Newcastle bid
Newcastle United have tabled a club record offer worth £70m for Benjamin Sesko. The Magpies have presented their vision to the Slovenia international and made it clear they want a deal to happen.
The bid is said to be £65.5m, plus £4.5m in add-ons, which matches RB Leipzig's valuation for the player. Sesko is understood to be considering his situation with Manchester United also at the table for him.
Sesko decision
Benjamin Sesko has decided to reject Manchester United in favour of a move to Newcastle United, according to one report in Slovenia. It had been argued that Sesko's preference was on a move to Ruben Amorim's Reds, but it appears that his stance has now changed.
Slovenian newspaper Delo revealed on Friday night that Newcastle have managed to convince Sesko, who had been subject to interest from Arsenal, to turn down United and switch to St James' Park. It's added the Magpies' latest proposal has won Sesko over.
It's not yet known how much compensation RB Leipzig will receive for Sesko, although Delo estimate that a fee between £61m and £69m is set to be enough.
Man Utd battle
Speaking on his YouTube channel this week, journalist Fabrizio Romano said: "Manchester United have been in contact with Benjamin Sesko's camp since last week and are also in contact with Red Bull Leipzig.
"So Man United spoke to both of them and Christopher Vivell is the name to remember. Vivell is the director of Manchester United, who used to work at RB Group then he went to Chelsea for some time, and then to United.
"He has a very good relationship with RB Group and knows Sesko very well, so Vivell is working actively, helping with this deal. Man United are also showing Leipzig the opportunity to include a player into a deal for Sesko.
"Then we have to see if this player would be open to going to Leipzig because they don't play European football for many years so I don't think it will be easy to include a player in this deal."
Addressing Newcastle's own interest, Romano continued: "Newcastle are prepared to pay what it takes to Red Bull Leipzig to sign him. Contract terms, salary, commission, transfer fee, whatever. Newcastle are ready to go for Sesko. But this depends on the player and what he wants to do."
Here at ChronicleLive, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Newcastle United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don't miss out on the latest NUFC news by joining our free WhatsApp group.* *You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.