Alexander Isak is still a Newcastle United player and that may remain the case until at least one replacement is found.
Newcastle won’t sell Isak until they find an adequate replacement, and even then, his exit is not guaranteed.
Liverpool could drop their interest in Isak due to the costs involved, having seen a huge offer rejected for the Sweden international on Friday.
Newcastle are baffled by Liverpool’s approach as it falls well below their valuation of the player.
It has been a damaging transfer saga and Liverpool suggesting they will not bid again unless Newcastle’s stance changes took onlookers by surprise.
Still, there could be a method to the madness as a strange and speculative theory emerges.
Alexander Isak chases the ball during Newcastle United's Carabao Cup game against Chelsea.
Photo by George Wood/Getty Images
Liverpool may be waiting for Newcastle United to sign Alexander Isak’s replacement
While Norwegian journalist Jan Aage Fjortoft said he hadn’t had the theory confirmed, he suggested that Liverpool could merely be giving Newcastle time to sign Isak’s replacement.
Newcastle have been linked with various strikers this summer, but cannot seem to get a deal over the line.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
Haven’t got this confirmed, but it could be that Liverpool give Newcastle time to find a replacement – or replacements.
Isak says it best “when he says nothing at all.
And there a feeling now that there is no way back for him https://t.co/25St5vdXkM
— Jan Aage Fjørtoft 🇳🇴 (@JanAageFjortoft) August 1, 2025
View Tweet
It’s added that there’s now a feeling there is simply no way back for Isak on Tyneside after all that has gone on in this summer.
In an earlier update on social media platform X, Aage Fjortoft revealed that the saga was “far from over” and that Liverpool always knew their opening bid would be rejected.
Interesting that Liverpool have “no plans to bid again” (@JacobsBen ) after their 1st bid rejected.
They knew it would!
What’s Liverpool’s game plan?
Leave it all to Isak to force his way out?
Simply step back and play the waiting game?
Either way, this saga far from over.… https://t.co/raMLYdKVrq
— Jan Aage Fjørtoft 🇳🇴 (@JanAageFjortoft) August 1, 2025
View Tweet
Who could replace Alexander Isak at Newcastle United
Newcastle have made a bid for Benjamin Sesko, though Manchester United are still being linked with the forward.
Ollie Watkins and Nicolas Jackson of Aston Villa and Chelsea respectively have also been touted as targets in various reports.
Being interested in a player and actually signing them, however, are two very different things entirely.
Newcastle are scrambling during this summer’s transfer window and have so far shown little to suggest they are capable of bringing in a forward anywhere close to Isak’s level.
If Liverpool are waiting for Newcastle to do anything of note in the transfer market, they could have plenty of time on their hands.