mirror.co.uk

Liverpool and Newcastle set for separate£50m transfer battle amid Alexander Isak drama

Liverpool and Newcastle are both vying to sign Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi while also negotiating over Alexander Isak, who has become the Reds' number one transfer target

Marc Guehi

Liverpool and Newcastle are battling to sign £50m-rated Marc Guehi amid their Alexander Isak talks

(Image: Crystal Pix/MB Media/Getty Images)

Crystal Palace have told Liverpool and Newcastle United to cough up £50 million for England international defender Marc Guehi.

The two clubs already locked in tense negotiations over Toon striker Alexander Isak are also battling over Selhurst star Guehi.

Newcastle missed out on Guehi 12 months ago after refusing to meet the then asking price of £70 million, having a number of bids rising to £65 million turned down.

Once again Palace chairman Steve Parish is playing hard ball even though the cultured defender only has a year left on his contract and has knocked back offers of a new one.

Liverpool have had a £40 million bid dismissed by Parish while Newcastle again are not prepared to come up with the asking price leaving Guehi in limbo.

It’s the same with his international team mate Eberechi Eze with North London rivals Arsenal and Spurs not prepared to pay his £68 million release clause and Palace once again standing firm.

Guehi has been a wanted man for a number of years, with Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham all credited with having interest in recent seasons alongside Liverpool.

The 25-year-old, who started his career with Chelsea, has played 155 times for the Eagles across four seasons and has also become an England regular, picking up 23 caps.

Alexander Isak of Newcastle United with Eddie Howe the head coach / manager of Newcastle United during the Premier League match between Newcastle United FC and Nottingham Forest FC at St James' Park on February 23, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is hoping to keep his star striker after the club rejected Liverpool's £110m bid

Liverpool have already beaten Newcastle to the signing of Hugo Ekitike in this window after snapping up the French forward for £79m and will be hopeful of pipping them to Guehi - amid tension between to the two clubs over Isak's future.

Isak has told the club he wants to consider his options and did not travel with the Newcastle squad for their pre-season tour in Asia, instead training on his own at the facilities of old club Real Sociedad this week.

Newcastle as said to value Isak at £150m and have already rejected Liverpool's opening bid of around £110m, which was said to be a "take it or leave it" offer.

Magpies boss Eddie Howe has admitted Isak's future is "not in his control" after previously insisting he was confident the player would stay put this summer.

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page