mirror.co.uk

Incoming£60m Chelsea star thinks Benjamin Sesko is better than him and Man Utd ace

As Manchester United and Newcastle United continue to pursue Benjamin Sesko, some comments from one of his team-mates have bobbed to the surface

LEIPZIG, GERMANY - OCTOBER 02: (L-R) Lois Openda, Xavi Simons, Benjamin Sesko, Lutsharel Geertruida and Castello Lukeba of RB Leipzig prior the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 League Phase MD2 match between RB Leipzig and Juventus at Leipzig Stadium on October 02, 2024 in Leipzig, Germany. (Photo by Luciano Lima - UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

One of Benjamin Sesko's team-mate's comments have bobbed to the surface amid Premier League interest

(Image: Luciano Lima - UEFA, UEFA via Getty Images)

Benjamin Sesko's RB Leipzig team-mate Xavi Simons has previously said the Manchester United and Newcastle United target is a better player than himself and Kobbie Mainoo. Sesko, 22, could soon be heading to the Premier League.

Newcastle recently tabled a formal bid of around £70million for the powerful striker. He has been one of the most exciting young strikers in world football for the best part of a year and has previously been linked with Arsenal.

One person who ranks him highly is Simons, who has been the ex-RB Salzburg's forward's team-mate for many years. The Dutchman, who is being tracked by Chelsea, has even said the striker is a better player than himself.

Earlier this year, during a Q&A session, Simons was asked to rank other young players globally. After favouring Mainoo over Warren Zaire-Emery, he was then asked to compare the young United midfielder with Sesko - he immediately chose the young striker.

Simons was then asked to pick between himself and the centre-forward. Without hesitating, he said Sesko again.

The United and Newcastle target returned the compliment when he expressed his admiration for the Dutchman, following the midfielder's permanent switch to Leipzig in January. After Simons netted twice against Werder Bremen, Sesko said: "I love to play with him. He makes things fun. I'm really happy for his two goals because now he is going to have even more confidence."

Interestingly, Simons also looks set for a Premier League move, but to one of United's biggest rivals. He was dropped from RB Leipzig's squad for a pre-season friendly against Atalanta as a result of the fierce transfer speculation.

Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig and Xavi Simons of RB Leipzig celebrate during the Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and Werder Bremen at Red Bull Arena, Leipzig, Germany on January 12, 2025. (Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Sesko and Simons are close friends(Image: NurPhoto, NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Simons recently removed any mention of the Bundesliga side from his Instagram bio, signalling his desire to leave the club. Sky Sports confirmed there is no injury concern for the former Barcelona wonderkid and that his absence is due to transfer speculation surrounding him.

He has made his intentions clear to his club that he wishes to relocate to Stamford Bridge. Fabrizio Romano reports that discussions between Chelsea and Leipzig are at an "advanced" stage.

The German outfit are believed to be seeking £60million to release him. Chelsea have already splashed considerable cash, having acquired Joao Pedro, Liam Delap, and numerous others.

Xavi Simons kneesliding to Benjamin Sesko

Simons and Sesko could both be in the Premier League

Meanwhile, Newcastle have submitted a formal bid for Sesko. The Magpies, who face the prospect of losing Alexander Isak this summer, have tabled £65.5m, with add-ons believed to be worth approximately £4.3m.

The Magpies have already witnessed numerous prime targets reject their approaches this summer for alternative destinations. Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford recently spurned their interest so he could rejoin Manchester City.

He joins the growing list of players, including Pedro, Delap, and Hugo Ekitike, who have turned down the club. Newcastle are hoping to beat United to Sesko's signature, which will see Eddie Howe land an impressive insurance policy should Alexander Isak end up departing.

Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page