Latest Newcastle United transfer news and gossip with updates on RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko and Aston Villa star Ollie Watkins
Mark has been a football journalist since 2017 and has contributed to several publications including the Liverpool Echo, Manchester Evening News and football.london. He also spent eight months on the US Sports team for the Mirror US
Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig
Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig(Image: Stuart Franklin/Getty Images)
Newcastle United look set to have a very busy end to the summer transfer window now that August is in full swing.
United have signed Anthony Elanga and Aaron Ramsdale so far this summer and there is the potential for more new signings to be confirmed in the weeks ahead. Newcastle have until September 1 to complete their transfer business for this window, which may also include some outgoings.
Alexander Isak's future at St James' Park is continuing to dominate headlines after Newcastle rejected a bid from Liverpool on Friday. It remains to be seen what will happen in the final weeks of the transfer window, with the futures of several players still undecided.
Here, Chronicle Live takes a look at some of the latest Newcastle transfer news and gossip that has generated headlines over the last 24 hours.
Benjamin Sesko update
Newcastle have reportedly received an answer to their bid for RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko.
The Athletic have claimed that the bid from United worth up to £65.5million, including add-ons, has fallen short of Leipzig's demands for Sesko's signature.
It has been claimed that the bid does not meet Leipzig's valuation of the striker, who is also wanted by Manchester United this summer.
Chronicle Live says: Newcastle are certainly looking to sign Sesko this summer, but reaching an agreement with Leipzig may not be easy. The Magpies will also have to fend off Manchester United to sign Sesko, so this saga is far from over.
Ollie Watkins boost
Newcastle have been handed a potential boost in their hopes of signing Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins.
The Mirror have claimed that Villa are prepared to let Watkins leave the club this summer so they can fund a deal to sign Nicolas Jackson from Chelsea.
The report claims that Watkins remains a target for Newcastle, with the striker continuing to be linked with a move away from Villa Park and is reportedly keen on signing for a new club this summer.
Chronicle Live says: Even though Sesko may be at the top of Newcastle's wishlist this summer, it's possible that Watkins may also be a player of interest. It would not be a surprise for Watkins to complete a move to St James' Park before the deadline based on the latest reports, but there is still a long way to go to make that a reality.
How to follow our NUFC WhatsApp channel
Did you know you can now get Newcastle United stories on WhatsApp? As well as our NUFC communities, we also have a channel dedicated to sending you the best news, opinion and analysis on all things black-and-white.
All you have to do is follow our channel on WhatsApp by clicking this link or you can find us by searching Chronicle Newcastle United.
Updates will then automatically appear if you select the Updates option on your WhatsApp menu and selecting the 'Chronicle - Newcastle United' channel. It's as easy as that. There are already thousands signed up, but remember to turn your notifications on so don't miss out.
Here at ChronicleLive, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Newcastle United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don't miss out on the latest NUFC news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here t o subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.
And, finally, if you would rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Everything is Black and White podcast.
Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts , and you can also watch along on YouTube .