mirror.co.uk

Man Utd slash star's value in half in hope of sale amid Benjamin Sesko plan

Manchester United's transfer business is not yet done and the Red Devils are happy to take a loss on Rasmus Hojlund this summer as they target a new striker for Ruben Amorim

Rasmus Hojlund of Manchester United reacts during the Premier League Summer Series match between Manchester United and AFC Bournemouth at Soldier Field on July 30, 2025 in Chicago, Illinois.

Hojlund is determined to fight for his place at United(Image: 2025 Getty Images)

Manchester United have opened the door to selling Rasmus Hojlund this summer and have set an asking price of £30million for their striker. United are pursuing a new forward, with RB Leipzig's £70m-rated Benjamin Sesko their top target, although they face competition from Newcastle for his signature.

Hojlund scored the opening goal in United's 4-1 win over Bournemouth in Chicago on Wednesday and said afterwards he is determined to stay and fight for his place next season. But if United are successful in signing Sesko or another forward, Hojlund, 22, will struggle for game time next season, particularly because Ruben Amorim's side are not in Europe next season.

Hojlund could go the other way to Leipzig, as part of a player-plus-cash swap deal with Sesko, but the Denmark international is understood to not want to go to the Bundesliga club. Last season Hojlund, who joined United from Atalanta for £72m in 2023, scored 10 goals in all competitions and just four in the Premier League, underlining the need for a more prolific striker to lead their attack.

United have already seen Newcastle have a bid turned down for target Sesko. The Magpies offered £65.5m and more than £4m of add-ons but the Bundesliga side will hope competition from Old Trafford can drive up the Slovenia star's value.

Sesko, who scored 13 times last season, was left out of RB Leipzig's matchday squad for their friendly against Serie A side Atalanta on Saturday. The forward is under contract until 2029.

United have already held talks with both player and club, and despite significant spending on the likes of Bryan Mbeumo and Matheus Cunha this summer, the club can make the signing of a forward without first selling players. But Hojlund's future could become difficult if more competition arrivs.

Asked if he had received any assurances from the club about his position earlier this week, Hojlund said: “Nothing so far.

“I think the most important thing for me is just to keep working hard and stay focused and then obviously we'll see what happens. I think my plan is very clear and that's for me to stay and fight for my spot, whatever happens. Competition is fine with me, it sharpens me. I'm more than ready. I'm feeling sharp, so I'm welcoming everything that comes. I think it's good with competition and it only sharpens the team.

Benjamin Sesko

Man United and Newcastle are going head-to-head for Benjamin Sesko

“I'm still very young. I think people forget that sometimes. I'm only 22. Obviously, not every striker is scoring 100 goals at the age of 22. But I've learned a lot, I think you can see in my game.

“I'm starting to develop and become even better at the basics. Now it's just about for me to sharpen myself and I've done very well in the pre-season, so far. Just focusing on continuing that.”

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page