independent.co.uk

Transfer news live: Man Utd battle Newcastle for Sesko, Liverpool’s Isak bid, Son to leave Spurs

Latest transfer news and rumours as Newcastle look for an Alexander Isak’s replacement amid Liverpool interest

Joao Palhinha - Tottenham's new defensive demon

Newcastle United remain in the headlines due to the interest in striker Alexander Isak. The 25-year-old has been trying to force a move away from the club amid ongoing interest from Liverpool but Newcastle are holding out for a massive fee having rejected Liverpool‘s first bid. Manager Eddie Howe says the situation is “far from ideal”.

Nevertheless the club are searching for a potential replacement and have made a bid fo RB Leipzig’s Benjamin Sesko which was deemed not good enough by the German side. To make matters worse, Manchester United, who are hopeful of securing a No.9 of their own, are willing to match the bid with improved add ons meaning the two clubs will battle it out over the closing days of the window.

Elsewhere, Tottenham captain Son Heung-Min is set to leave north London after a decade with the club, announcing the news in an emotional press conference ahead of the pre-season friendly against Newcastle in his native South Korea while Arsenal are aiming to bolster their forward line by signing Crystal Palace’s Eberechi Eze. Palace want a fee in excess of £60m which is the amount of Eze’s release clause but the Gunners are running out of time to trigger it.

All the latest updates, rumours and done deals will be covered in the blog below:

Transfer news, rumours and done deals

Liverpool think about second Isak bid after £110m offer rejected

Son Heung-Min announces decision to leave Tottenham this summer

Manchester United prioritising Benjamin Sesko in search for No.9

Newcastle make formal offer for highly-rated Slovenian striker

United also exploring swap deal for Alejandro Garnacho

Arsenal running out of time to trigger release clause for Crystal Palace's Eberechi Eze

Spurs agree loan deal for Joao Palhinha, with option to buy for £27m

2 minutes ago

Will Liverpool bid again for Alexander Isak?

Liverpool’s first bid for Newcastle striker Alexander Isak was for £110m and landed on Friday with the North East side rejecting it promptly.

The swiftness of their rejection led to The Independent’s Richard Jolly reporting that the Reds had decided against making a second bid with Newcastle’s £150m valuation for Isak deemed too high.

However, Fabrizio Romano believes Liverpool have changed their mind again and are preparing to make a second bid for Isak depending on what Newcastle do in the market.

Newcastle are exploring moves for Benjamin Sesko and Goncalo Ramos while Al-Hilal hold an interest in Liverpool’s Darwin Nunez which could be a boon to help fund a move for Isak.

Newcastle rejected a bid for Isak from Liverpool (Owen Humphreys/PA)

Newcastle rejected a bid for Isak from Liverpool (Owen Humphreys/PA) (PA Wire)

Mike Jones4 August 2025 07:29

9 minutes ago

Tottenham captain Son Heung Min to leave club for ‘fresh challenge’

Tottenham captain Son Heung Min has revealed he will leave the club this summer.

Son has spent the last decade at Spurs and achieved his goal of silverware in May when he helped the Premier League team to Europa League success with a 1-0 victory over Manchester United.

It ended a 17-year trophy drought for the club.

Tottenham captain Son Heung Min to leave club for ‘fresh challenge’

Son had been at Spurs for a decade and led them to Europa League glory last season to end a long trophy drought

Mike Jones4 August 2025 07:22

10 minutes ago

Good morning!

Welcome to The Independent’s transfer news blog where we’ll keep you updated and informed on the latest transfer rumours and done deals from the Premier League and more.

Mike Jones4 August 2025 07:21

21 minutes ago

Lookman wants to depart Atalanta over 'broken promises'

Forward Ademola Lookman said on Sunday he had put in a formal transfer request at Atalanta after facing poor treatment at the Italian club.

England-born Nigeria international Lookman was Atalanta's second-highest scorer in Serie A last season, netting 15 goals. Italian media reports have linked the former Everton, Fulham and Leicester City player with a move to Inter Milan.

Atalanta did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment.

Lookman, who joined Atalanta in 2022 on a four-year contract, wrote in a letter shared on social media that he had agreed with the club ownership that he would be allowed to move if there was a fair offer.

"Despite now receiving an offer in alignment to what I believe had been discussed sadly the club are blocking the opportunity for reasons I do not understand," he wrote.

"After many months of broken promises and what I feel has been poor treatment towards me as both a human being and as a professional footballer, sadly I feel I have no choice but to speak out... I can confirm I have now handed in a formal transfer request."

( AFP via Getty Images )

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 07:10

1 hour ago

Bannan commits to Wednesday

Sheffield Wednesday captain Barry Bannan has signed a new contract with the troubled Championship club.

The 35-year-old midfielder, whose previous deal had expired, has committed to the Owls just two days after players and staff at Hillsborough had not received their wages on time for the third successive month.

The club has not disclosed the details of Bannan's new deal.

The Scot said he had received interest from other clubs and that his daughter's reaction to the prospect of ending his decade-long stay with the Owls had helped shape his decision.

Bannan said: "This club is a big part of me and my family, who are with me here today as I'm signing.

"They will always stand by me with whatever decision I make and I've decided to stay.

"With the season getting closer, this last week has been tough because there was interest from elsewhere and I had a lot to think about.

"We had a lot of conversations as a family and when I told my daughter Elsie that I might be leaving she started crying.

"Then last night when I told her I was staying she started crying again. I asked her why and she said they are just happy tears."

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 06:10

2 hours ago

Amorim 'really happy' with Hojlund

Of under pressure forward Rasmus Hojlund, who has been the subject of interest in the transfer market, Ruben Amorim recently said: “The important thing is that people focus on the goals and we suffer a lot because of the lack of goals. But I think not just the goals, but the way he (Hojlund) connects the play.

"Every time we have to kick the ball, we are kicking the ball when we are more pressed. The ability for him to hold the defender and to connect in the support is helping us a lot to play better. And we are playing better because he is playing better.

"I am really happy with Rasmus. I don't know what is going to happen until the end of the market. The important thing is that the strikers that are here are working really well, are improving, are helping the team and that is the most important thing.”

Rasmus Hojlund plans to stay and fight for United (Adam Davy/PA)

Rasmus Hojlund plans to stay and fight for United (Adam Davy/PA) (PA Wire)

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 05:10

3 hours ago

Sesko saga reaches critical decision

Newcastle have submitted an offer for RB Leipzig, according to reports, and Manchester United are prepared to wait and see what Benjamin Sesko wants.

If Sesko wants to go to Old Trafford, and gives the green light, United will then submit an offer, writes Fabrizio Romano. They are not prepared to enter talks with the club only to be snubbed by the player further down the line.

RB Leipzig’s Benjamin Sesko is on Manchester United’s radar (PA)

RB Leipzig’s Benjamin Sesko is on Manchester United’s radar (PA) (PA Archive)

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 04:12

4 hours ago

Liverpool still have eyes for Guehi

Liverpool retain an interest in Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi, though they do not agree with Palace’s valuation for the defender.

The England international is out of contract next summer but Palace currently value him at £40m.

( The FA via Getty Images )

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 03:12

5 hours ago

West Ham capture Wilson

West Ham have signed Callum Wilson on a one-year contract following his release by Newcastle.

The 33-year-old former Bournemouth striker scored 49 goals in 130 appearances in five years for the Magpies.

Wilson said: “I’m excited to be joining a massive football club like West Ham.”

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 02:11

6 hours ago

Newcastle to look at Watkins & Wissa if Isak leaves

Newcastle will look at Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins if given encouragement that a deal can be done, according to the Daily Mail.

Watkins would be available for around £60m, though Newcastle would likely try to reduce that fee.

While the signing could act as a replacement for Alexander Isak, the club are also still targeting Brentford forward Yoane Wissa, who is reportedly valued at £50m too.

Flo Clifford4 August 2025 01:11

Newer

1 / 9

Older

Read full news in source page