As Alexander Isak continues to be linked with a move to Liverpool, the Reds have been given a huge warning about the Swede, which Arsenal have already listened to
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United reacts during the Premier League match between Newcastle United FC and Everton FC at St James' Park on May 25, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Alexander Isak's future is still uncertain(Image: 2025 Getty Images)
Arsenal eventually decided not to sign Alexander Isak because of his injury record.
Newcastle United have already rejected a £110million move from Liverpool and have been adamant he is not for sale. The 25-year-old, who is understood to have a price tag of around £150m, did not travel on Newcastle's pre-season tour of Asia. He has also been training alone, using the facilities belonging to his former club Real Sociedad.
It's understood by the EchoLiverpool have taken a step back in their pursuit of the forward to see what happens between himself and Newcastle. While the transfer saga continues, a warning in the form of Arsenal's reason behind their decision to not pursue him has emerged - and it was a similar point ex-Match of the Day host Gary Lineker made last year.
At one stage, Isak was considered to be one of Mikel Arteta's dream transfer targets for Arsenal. However, according to ESPN, the north Londoners were put off by Isak's recent record with injuries.
Since his £60m arrival from Sociedad in the summer of 2022, injuries have forced Isak to miss 39 matches for club and country. This record, combined with his huge transfer fee, is understood to be the reasoning behind Arsenal ending their interest.
It's believed they weighed up his Premier League record breaking price-tag and his absence record and decided the risk was too high. At the start of last season, Lineker also referred to Isak's injuries as a potential issue for a new suitor.
Speaking on the Rest is Football podcast last year, Lineker pointed out the Scandinavian's injury record as a potential issue. He said: "17 goals in 24 Premier League appearances. I mean the only question mark against him is that he has missed a few games.”
Alexander Isak of Newcastle United reacts as he goes down with an injury during the Carabao Cup Final between Liverpool and Newcastle United at Wembley Stadium on March 16, 2025 in London, England
Isak's injury record has been highlighted as a concern(Image: 2025 Getty Images)
This summer, Arsenal focussed on signing Sporting Lisbon ace Viktor Gyokeres, who arrived as part of a deal worth around £64m. They also brought in winger Noni Madueke from Chelsea for £52m, while defensive midfielder Martin Zubimendi, goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, Brentford captain Christian Norgaard and Villarreal defender Cristhian Mosquera have also arrived.
Meanwhile, the Echo understands Liverpool will not be making a second bid any time soon. Newcastle's instant rejection has made the club think another bid could prove to be futile.
Howe has so far made it clear Isak is not for sale. Nevertheless, a lot has been happening at St James' Park in the transfer market.
Alexander Isak during the Pre Season Training Camp at FC Seefelder Plateau on July 14, 2025 in Innsbruck, Austria
Isak did not travel with Newcastle for their pre-season tour of Asia
(Image: 2025 Newcastle United)
They are currently battling Manchester United for Benjamin Sesko, who has been seen as a replacement for Isak. Howe's side bid just under £70m for the 22-year-old, but this offer has been rejected.
Despite the rumours, Howe, once again, insisted he and the club want Isak to stay. In a recent press conference, he said: "I don't know what happens next. From our perspective, we still support Alex in every way and my wish is that we see him in a Newcastle shirt again.
"I know where he is, really, through the media. From that perspective, it's difficult for me to go into any kind of detail. The situation is far from ideal and is quite complex."