Alexander Isak remains the top priority for Liverpool and this week should be an interesting one in what is proving to be a very drawn-out saga.
Liverpool submitted a £110m bid last week which was rejected immediately by the Newcastle board. Fabrizio Romano since reported that the opening bid was more a message to Isak than one they expected to be accepted.
Romano says that Liverpool wanted to show Isak that they are ready to make this happen as it would require a second Premier League record transfer after signing Florian Wirtz for £116m earlier this summer.
“So Liverpool sent a clear message to Alexander Isak: We are here. We are ready. We have the money. We are prepared to make something important,” Romano said on YouTube.
It might have occurred to Isak and his representatives that it’s borderline outlandish to spend over £110m on Isak after spending so much on Wirtz but Liverpool have made their ambition clear to the Swede.
Of course, there is still the small matter of actually coming to an agreement with Newcastle but with the noise surrounding the club ahead of what should be an exciting season for the Magpies, it’s untenable now.
It will be curious to see how things evolve from here but step one is Isak returning to training today.
Alexander Isak returns to Newcastle training centre amid intense speculation
Isak is truly under the spotlight at the moment. I’m sure Liverpool would have preferred to conduct this deal without all the media fanfare but at this point, it’s actually beneficial for them.
While it is by no means the preferred way for FSG to do transfers, this now seems out of Newcastle’s hands. Given the player’s stance and the idea of keeping him while unhappy not being ideal, a transfer to Anfield now seems likely.
Fabrizio Romano has confirmed the rumours that Isak is back at the Newcastle training ground with a post and picture on X.
The journalist reports: “Alexander Isak, back in Newcastle after training at Real Sociedad facilities last week.
“Future yet to be clarified for the striker asNUFC have not opened doors for his exit as of now.”
?????? Alexander Isak, back in Newcastle after training at Real Sociedad facilities last week.
Future yet to be clarified for the striker as #NUFC have not opened doors for his exit as of now. pic.twitter.com/WxVRxnzlkG
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 4, 2025