As Liverpool continue to be active in the summer transfer window, past comments from Arsenal ace Mikel Merino on a Reds target have surfaced with Arne Slot continuing to splash the cash
Trey Nyoni of Liverpool (L3) celebrating after scoring the second goal making the score 1-2 to Liverpool during the MEIJI YASUDA J.LEAGUE World Challenge 2025 presented by The Nippon Foundation match between Yokohama F•Marinos and Liverpool at Nissan Stadium on July 30, 2025 in Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Liverpool recently beat Yokohama FM 3-1 in Japan(Image: 2025 Getty Images)
Arsenal midfielder Mikel Merino has expressed his belief that Liverpool would be acquiring a top-notch player if they were to sign Real Madrid's Rodrygo.
The Reds have been pursuing Alexander Isak, but Newcastle United recently turned down a £110m bid from the Reds for the Swedish striker. The ECHO understands Arne Slot's team are not currently planning a second offer, but are keeping an eye on the situation between Isak and the Magpies, especially since the player has recently returned to the club for further talks.
The forward had spent some time training solo at his former club Real Sociedad's facilities, after he did not accompany Newcastle on their pre-season tour to Asia. However, some reports have claimed Liverpool have turned their attention to Rodrygo, whose price tag at the Spanish giants is said to have decreased.
Given Merino's previous remarks about Rodrygo, the Arsenal man would likely view any move to Liverpool as a top signing at Anfield. Prior to Arsenal's Champions League quarter-final second leg against Real Madrid last season, Merino was asked which player from Los Blancos he would like to play alongside.
Despite having the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Jude Bellingham and Vinicius Junior to choose from, he opted for £78m-valued Rodrygo. He told El Partidazo de COPE: "They are all players of a very high level, I love them all, but I have already said that I would like to play with him [Rodrygo].
"He is very good technically; between the lines, he plays very well, he runs into space well. I really enjoy watching him play. It's a profile that every midfielder would like to play with."
Rodrygo Silva de Goes of Real Madrid during the UEFA Champions League match between Liverpool v Real Madrid at the Anfield on February 21, 2023 in Liverpool United Kingdom
Rodrygo has emerged as a target for Liverpool again(Image: 2020 Soccrates Images BV)
Arsenal have explored the opportunity to bring Rodrygo to the Emirates Stadium this summer, but they instead opted to sign Chelsea winger Noni Madueke for £52m. Reports from AS Diario last month claimed Liverpool were interested in Rodrygo among other clubs and that Real Madrid were willing to decrease his price tag.
However, as for the move itself, it remains early days, with nothing official or formal being agreed as of yet. Moreover, reports from Spain have also said Rodrygo wants to stay and fight for his place under Xabi Alonso, although Slot's players will be well aware of the quality he can bring if he does arrive on Merseyside.
Despite splashing out a Premier League-record £116m on Florian Wirtz and an additional £79m on French forward Hugo Ekitike, whilst also retaining Mohamed Salah, Slot is still seeking to bolster his options going forward. This comes after Luis Diaz's recent £65m move to Bayern Munich and Darwin Nunez being labelled a 'priority transfer target' for Saudi Arabian side Al-Hilal.
Alexander Isak during the Pre Season Training Camp at FC Seefelder Plateau on July 14, 2025 in Innsbruck, Austria
Liverpool's recent bid for Isak was turned down by Newcastle
In the meantime, Isak remains in a stalemate with Newcastle. Magpies manager Eddie Howe recently confessed his uncertainty about what the future holds.
Following their 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur in the final match of their Asian tour, Howe responded to Liverpool's bid, stating: "I don't know what happens next.
"From our perspective, we still support Alex in every way and my wish is that we see him in a Newcastle shirt again."
Isak was seen returning to Newcastle's training ground on Monday morning for discussions regarding the current situation.