Liverpool appear to be in a strong postion to sign Alexander Isak and a telling development is club legend and Premier League record top scorer Alan Shearer calling on Newcastle United to sell.
The Swedish striker scored 23 goals last season – his second season in a row scoring over twenty in a single Premier League season. Arne Slot has known for months, according to reports, that Liverpool would make an ambitious play to sign the 25-year-old.
His acquisition would arguably be the highest profile signing since Fernando Torres. Virgil van Dijk is a contender too but Torres was already considered one of Europe’s hottest players when he made the move from Atletico Madrid to Anfield in 2007.
Isak was second only to Mohamed Salah last season and fielding them together would verge on unfair on the rest of the league. When you then realize Liverpool have also signed Florian Wirtz and Hugo Ekitike, the Reds appear close to being a ‘super-team’.
For Newcastle United, this is a deplorable situation given their struggle to sign their top targets this summer and Alan Shearer has now spoken about the saga.
Alan Shearer urges Newcastle to sell Isak because “no individual is bigger than any club”
It’s hard not to feel sympathetic to Newcastle supporters given they hoped this season would be the next big step in their development within the PIF project but football is a cruel game at times.
Shearer said: “No individual is bigger than any football club, and if he doesn’t want to be there, fine, get what you can and get him out and say thanks very much for the memories, off you go.”
Alan Shearer on Isak: “No individual is bigger than any football club, and if he doesn’t want to be there, fine, get what you can and get him out and say thanks very much for the memories, off you go.” pic.twitter.com/WbXwDusXYE
— Anfield Edition | æ (@AnfieldEdition) August 4, 2025
Liverpool are widely expected to return with an improved bid after seeing a £110m bid rejected last week which Fabrizio Romano says was simply a ploy to prove to Isak that they are serious and capable of completing this transfer.
Isak has been criticised for refusing to join the Newcastle summer tour with his thigh injury believed to be a front as this transfer saga unfolds.
He returned to Newcastle’s training centre on Monday for a check up on the injury while Eddie Howe and the rest of the squad will return tomorrow.