All the latest Newcastle United transfer news as Eddie Howe looks to get his hands on a new striker
Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig looks on during the 1. Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and VfB Stuttgart at Red Bull arena, Leipzig, Germany on May 17, 2025
Benjamin Sesko during RB Leipzig's clash against VfB Stuttgart(Image: Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Newcastle United are determined to wrap up a deal for Benjamin Sesko. The RB Leipzig striker has recently been linked with a move to St James' Park as Eddie Howe looks to bolster his attacking options.
Sesko, whose contract at the Red Bull Arena expires in June 2029, featured 33 times in the Bundesliga last season, scoring 13 goals and providing five assists. Despite his best efforts, the German outfit failed to qualify for either of UEFA's three club competitions, finishing seventh with just 51 points.
Having missed out on Europe, Leipzig could be forced to cash in on the Slovenia international this summer. So, with that being said, the Chronicle rounds up everything you need to know about Sesko and a potential transfer to Tyneside.
Newcastle submit improved bid for Sesko
According to Sky Sports, Newcastle have submitted an improved bid worth £69.7m (€80m), plus add-ons, for Sesko. The report claims that the Magpies had an opening offer worth £65.3m (€75m), plus £4.4m (€5m) in bonuses, turned down earlier this summer.
It's said that the Tyneside outfit are currently in talks with Leipzig over the structure of a potential deal. Sky Sports reckon that Manchester United are also in contact with the Bundesliga outfit as Ruben Amorim looks to strengthen his frontline before the transfer window slams shut.
The Reds are reportedly expected to make a formal offer for Sesko, who's open to both projects. Leipzig are reportedly interested in signing Rasmus Hojlund, and they've already explored the conditions of a loan as part of any possible move for their talisman.
Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig scores and celebrates his teams first goal during the 1. Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and TSG Hoffenheim at Red Bull arena, Leipzig, Germany on April 5, 2025
Benjamin Sesko during RB Leipzig's clash against TSG Hoffenheim(Image: Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
Newcastle set Sesko deadline
According to talkSPORT, Newcastle want an answer from Sesko on his future within the next 48 hours. The report claims that the Magpies are confident they can agree a deal with Leipzig, with money not thought to be an issue, but they don't want the saga to drag on.
It's said the Bundesliga outfit want at least a fixed fee worth £70m and a future sell-on clause. talkSPORT states that Sesko has already told his teammates he expects to leave this summer.
Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and Holstein Kiel at Red Bull Arena on April 19, 2025
Benjamin Sesko during RB Leipzig's draw against Holstein Kiel
Push to sign Sesko
Speaking on his YouTube channel, Fabrizio Romano provided an update on the race for Sesko. The journalist said: "Manchester United reacted to this official bid from Newcastle by telling Red Bull Leipzig again in verbal contact: 'We are aware of this bid from Newcastle, but we will also bid for Benjamin Sesko if he decides to come to us.'
"So, different strategies. Newcastle are going very strong, (they’ve) put the money on the table with an important proposal to the club, an important proposal to the player. Manchester United are still not presenting an official bid, but telling Leipzig, and obviously also the player, that they are ready to bid as soon as the player will decide.
Benjamin Sesko of Slovenia celebrates a hat-trick after scoring Slovenia's third goal during the UEFA Nations League 2024/25 League B Group B3 match between Slovenia and Kazakhstan at Arena Stozice, on September 9, 2024
Benjamin Sesko during Slovenia's clash against Kazakhstan
"Different approaches, different strategies, but always with one guarantee – when the player will make his decision, this story becomes clear. So, it’s on the player or it’s eventually on one of the two clubs to say, 'okay, we leave the race'.
"But as of tonight, Monday night, Newcastle are presenting important money on the table and Manchester United are telling Leipzig: 'Don’t worry, we will bid too.'"