mirror.co.uk

Man Utd submit opening Benjamin Sesko transfer bid as Newcastle battle hots up

Manchester United have responded to Newcastle's two bids for Benjamin Sesko by making an offer of their own, as they attempt to pip their Premier League rivals to his signature

Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig looks on

Benjamin Sesko is a wanted man(Image: Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto)

Manchester United have made a £73.8million bid for Benjamin Sesko, as they move to beat Newcastle in the race for the RB Leipzig striker. Sesko, 22, is both clubs' top target, as they each push to sign a striker in the final month of the summer transfer window.

Newcastle were first to lodge a formal bid that was rejected. Following talks with the Bundesliga club, Eddie Howe's side submitted an improved offer of £69.5m plus £8.6m in add-ons on Monday.

United have now made their own move, with a proposal worth £65.2m plus £8.6m in further payments. It's understood that Sesko is training away from Leipzig's first-team squad amid the race to sign him.

Newcastle's decision to pursue the Slovenia international comes after Alexander Isak told club chiefs that he wants to leave amid concrete interest from Liverpool. The Magpies rejected Liverpool's opening bid last week but they're braced for a second offer.

United, on the other hand, want to upgrade on Rasmus Hojlund, who's available for just £30m after two difficult seasons at Old Trafford. The Red Devils have already signed two forwards this summer, bringing in Matheus Cunha and Bryan Mbeumo for a combined £133.5m.

United's interest in Sesko dates back to when he was 16 and playing for Slovenian club Domzale. The Red Devils' new director of recruitment, Christopher Vivell, also knows plenty about the in-demand 22-year-old.

Vivell signed Sesko for both Salzburg and Leipzig during his spells with the two Red Bull-run clubs, and he's hoping to do it for a third time in his role at United.

Howe has been tight-lipped on Newcastle's interest in Sesko. When asked about the ex-Red Bull Salzburg wonderkid, the Magpies boss told Chronicle Live: "I am sorry to sound like a broken record, I am aware of what is happening, but I am not dealing with it.

"I woke up today and had two training sessions then came straight here. I am finding out what is happening after it has happened, so we will try to bring the best to the football club - I will make that clear - but I can't talk about individual targets."

Who should Benjamin Sesko chose - Newcastle or Manchester United? Let us know your pick in the comments section.

Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig looks on during the 1. Bundesliga match between Werder Bremen and RB Leipzig at Weserstadion, Bremen, Germany on May 10, 2025. (Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Both Newcastle and Manchester United have offered £73.8million for Benjamin Sesko

After Sesko was absent for Leipzig's pre-season friendly with Atalanta last week, managing director Marcel Schafer confirmed that approaches had been made, without giving specifics.

"We won't go into detail on that, but when I say that several clubs have shown strong interest and have made approaches," Schafer said. "It's obvious what has happened."

Now, RBL have both Premier League clubs pushing to land their prized asset, with the Slovenian tasked with deciding on which United he really wants.

Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page