manchestereveningnews.co.uk

What Man United recruitment chief said about Benjamin Sesko speaks volumes -'A real goalscorer'

Manchester United have made their first official move to try and sign RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko.

Benjamin Sesko celebrates after scoring for RB Leipzig.

Manchester United hope to win the race to sign Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig.

(Image: Maja Hitij/Getty Images.)

Manchester United recruitment director Christopher Vivell has previously outlined the star qualities Benjamin Sesko could bring to Old Trafford.

United, according to The Athletic, have tabled an opening bid for the RB Leipzig striker worth more than £70million. United are said to have offered £65m up front and around £8.7m in performance related add-ons.

United's first official bid for the Slovenia international comes following a second offer from Premier League rivals Newcastle United. The Magpies' second offer was reportedly worth £67.9m up front plus add-ons.

United are desperate to strengthen their attacking options ahead of the transfer window closing on September 1 and Sesko has emerged as a top target. He is considered to be one of Europe's most promising strikers and he scored 21 goals for Leipzig last term.

If Sesko chooses a switch to Old Trafford, he will be reunited with United recruitment guru Vivell, who was working at Leipzig at the time of him joining the club from RB Salzburg in 2023.

Having worked on the deal that saw Sesko join Leipzig from their sister club, Vivell knows all there is to know about the 22-year-old, and he has previously detailed his key strengths, admitting he has "enormous potential".

"Benjamin Sesko is among the game's top young talents and has enormous potential to become a top player," Vivell told the Bundesliga website. "He has all the qualities to do that.

"He's extremely quick, has a great jump on him and is strong in the air. Benjamin is a real goalscorer, who despite his 1.95m (6'4") is mobile and technically strong.

"His abilities make him a special player with a special profile."

Here at the Manchester Evening News, we're dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.

You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.

And finally, if you'd rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.

Read full news in source page