mirror.co.uk

Alexander Isak to come face-to-face with Newcastle fans as Eddie Howe makes decision

Alexander Isak is back in the north east after missing Newcastle's pre-season tour of Asia, during which Liverpool submitted a £120million bid which was rejected by the Magpies

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - MAY 25: Alexander Isak of Newcastle United looks on during the Premier League match between Newcastle United FC and Everton FC at St James' Park on May 25, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)

Alexander Isak hasn't played for Newcastle since May(Image: George Wood/Getty Images)

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe has decided that Alexander Isak will feature at St James' Park this weekend - if he's fit. Isak, 25, is yet to feature in any of the Magpies' pre-season friendlies and has told the Newcastle hierarchy that he wants to leave.

The striker missed their tour of Asia and was last week the subject of a £120million bid from Liverpool. Despite it being a British record, Newcastle rejected the offer and Isak remains part of Howe's squad, who've have now returned home.

Toon chiefs have been working hard on signing a replacement for Isak in the event that he leaves. RB Leipzig star Benjamin Sesko was the chosen one but despite having a £78m bid accepted, he prefers to join Manchester United.

That only raises the stakes surrounding Isak's future, with Newcastle set to host La Liga side Espanyol in a friendly at St James' Park on Friday night. The following afternoon, they'll face Atletico Madrid.

More than 100,000 fans are expected to attend the two matches and all eyes will be on whether their No.14 features and what reception he's given by the Toon Army. Chronicle Live report that Howe is planning to essentially make Isak play depending on his fitness levels.

It's added in the report that Howe's initial desire was for the Swede to train with the rest of his squad ahead of the double-header. Isak had been nursing a minor thigh injury prior to Newcastle's tour of Asia.

The Liverpool target was spotted working on his fitness at former club Real Sociedad's training ground while his team-mates were away. Speaking before Newcastle travelled home from South Korea, Howe warned the 25-year-old: "You have to earn the right to train with us."

"You have to earn the right to train with us," the Magpies boss told the Daily Mail. "We are Newcastle United. The player has a responsibility here to be part of a team and part of a squad - you have to act in the right way.

How much should Newcastle demand for Alexander Isak? Have your say in the comments section.

Newcastle United's English head coach Eddie Howe (L) applauds as Newcastle United's Swedish striker #14 Alexander Isak celebrates on stage at the Town Moor in Newcastle upon Tyne, in north-east England, on March 29, 2025, during a celebration and presentation of the League Cup trophy with fans after Newcastle United won the English League Cup, their first domestic trophy for 70 years. (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP) (Photo by OLI SCARFF/AFP via Getty Images)

Eddie Howe is planning to play Alexander Isak in one of Newcastle's friendlies this weekend

"So that is also at play here. We will make sure that any player does that to earn the right to train with the group. No player can expect to act poorly and train with the group as normal."

After Newcastle ended their tour with a 1-1 draw against Tottenham, Howe was asked if Isak was scheduled to train with the rest of the group. "Of course I'd like him to but whether or not he will, I don't know at this moment in time," he replied.

"Other people have been dealing with that situation back at home."

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page