Botafogo’s Brazilian goalkeeper John Victor is edging closer to becoming a West Ham United player seemingly by the hour.
On Tuesday, it was reported by Fabrizio Romano that the Premier League outfit had reached a verbal agreement with Botafogo for a fee in the region of £8.5 million.
Only a few hours later, it emerged that the West Ham United-bound John Victor had been left out of Botafogo’s squad for the Copa do Brasil clash with Red Bull Bragantino tonight. The confidence displayed by the club’s head coach – son of Carlo, Davide Ancelotti initially felt John was in no rush to leave his home country – appears to have been misplaced.
Now, John Victor departs Botafogo under something of a cloud. He was jeered by supporters during what looks to have been his farewell appearance on Sunday, an atmosphere not helped by a goalkeeping blunder which gifted Cruzeiro one of their two goals on the night.
Yet, the feeling from neutral observers is that a ‘phenomenal’ talent deserves his chance at West Ham.
Brazilian reporter Jorge Nicola, meanwhile, reports that John’s replacement is ready and waiting to put pen to paper with Botafogo now too. The sound you are hearing is that of another domino falling.
Giant goalkeeper John Victor in action for Botafogo against Bragantino in the Copa Do Brasil
Photo by Wanderson Colino/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images
Jorge Nicola says Botafogo goalkeeper John Victor is on the verge of West Ham United transfer
Norberto Neto, the former Juventus, Valencia, Fiorentina and Arsenal goalkeeper, is set to make his return to Brazilian football after 14 years away.
The 36-year-old veteran left AFC Bournemouth as a free-agent earlier in the window. Neto has now touched down in South America, his pen hovering over the dotted line as he waits for John Victor’s departure to be confirmed.
MORE WEST HAM STORIES
“Let’s talk about John,” Nicola begins. “The Botafogo goalkeeper is out of Wednesday’s match against Red Bull Bragantino. His departure has everything to do with the advanced talks with West Ham.
“An operation that will generate around 10 million euros, plus £500,000 more in bonuses.
“The plan is that, as soon as John is announced as sold, Botafogo confirms the signing of Neto. The player has already terminated his contract with Bournemouth, and has arrived in Brazil to undergo medical tests and sign a contract with Botafogo.
“John is awaiting the final agreement with West Ham, taking care of the final negotiations.”
There are conflicting reports about whether West Ham plan to sign Mads Hermansen alongside John Victor, or whether it will be a case of one or the other.
If deals are done for both players, this will surely mean Alphonse Areola has no choice but to look for opportunities away from the London Stadium.
West Ham United-linked Goalkeeper Michael Zetterer celebrates during SV Werder Bremen v 1. FC Union Berlin - Bundesliga
Photo by Selim Sudheimer/Getty Images
West Ham still want Mads Hermansen but Michael Zetterer only a back-up option
In the meantime, the highly-respected Henry Winter backs up reports from the Danish press claiming that Leicester glovesman Hermansen has agreed personal terms with Graham Potter’s outfit.
Leicester may accept a reduced fee for Hermansen in the region of £20 – £25 million. That makes the Dane – who worked with West Ham’s new goalkeeping coach Casper Ankergren back home at Brondby – more affordable than other leading targets such as Zion Suzuki.
Hammers News can confirm that West Ham discussed Suzuki with Parma. The Serie A outfit wanted a minimum of £30 million.
“I think West Ham are quite optimistic, and the reason for that is Leicester have brought in Asmir Begovic [as a new goalkeeper],” reporter Ben Jacobs told talkSPORT last Thursday while confirming that Foxes playmaker Bilal El Khannouss is another with admirers at the London Stadium.
“Leicester, a year ago, valued [Hermansen] at £35 million. From my understanding, West Ham are thinking more around the £20 – £25 million mark. Still a lot of money for a goalkeeper, and maybe enough to turn the heads of the Leicester hierarchy.
“Expect West Ham to keep pushing. Talks are ongoing, and I think there is some optimism from Graham Potter and the recruitment team that they might get this one over the line.”
The German press threw another name into the frame on Tuesday night, as left-field reports emerged surrounding Michael Zetterer.
West Ham were linked with Zetterer in early July. Now, it has been claimed that a £4.5 million bid had been lodged for the Werder Bremen keeper.
Kicker, though, now insist that no ‘concrete negotiations’ have taken place between the two clubs. Zetterer had seemingly been identified as a fall-back option if those John Victor talks collapsed, and there is currently no indication that the pursuit of the former Germany Under-21 international will be revisited any time soon.