Alexander Isak's transfer situation looks no closer to being resolved
Alexander Isak
Alexander Isak(Image: Owen Humphreys/PA Wire)
Newcastle United are determined not to be bullied over the Alexander Isak transfer saga.
The Magpies face a tricky situation with their wantaway striker. Isak has informed the club that he wishes to explore a potential move to Liverpool, and missed the pre-season tour of the Far East.
While a minor thigh injury was used as a reason behind Isak not travelling, the transfer situation was clearly the main issue. Isak subsequently travelled to Spain and trained on his own at his former club Real Sociedad.
A bid from Liverpool of around £110million was rejected out of hand by Newcastle who have remained firm all summer in their stance that the player is not for sale. Whether that remains the case should they sign another couple of strikers is questionable, but so far bids for Benjamin Sesko, Hugo Ekitike, Yoane Wissa, Liam Delap and Joao Pedro have all failed.
It leaves Newcastle with Isak as the only frontline forward at the club 10 days before the start of the Premier League season. William Osula has played through the middle in the majority of the friendlies, but has failed to hit the target in any of the games.
Newcastle returned to training on Tyneside on Wednesday but any hopes of Isak being reintegrated into the squad were put on hold after the Swede didn't train with the rest of the squad in the morning, and also didn't take part in a family bonding session at the training ground. Instead, he was told to report to Benton in the afternoon for a solo session.
Eddie Howe and Newcastle's chiefs now must decide the best course of action for the player as Liverpool wait in the wings with an improved bid should they get the green light.
Former Newcastle and Liverpool striker Michael Owen, meanwhile, says Newcastle can put their foot down and keep the player on Tyneside, with Isak still having three years left on his contract.
"Remember that Newcastle are obviously in the Champions League as well," Owen told AskGamblers. "At the start of the season, Newcastle are offering exactly what Liverpool are in terms of the competitions they're in.
"However, we all, or at least the vast majority of people, would say that Liverpool has a better chance of winning the league, winning the Champions League, and winning other trophies than Newcastle.
"And if that's the case, and the contract will inevitably be a lot better if he makes a move to Liverpool, then it ticks a lot of boxes, I would’ve thought. So, you can see why it could be turning the player's head. You can see why Liverpool would want him.
"As I say, this is not a strange scenario. It happens all the time. It’s a high-profile scenario, but it’s the same scenario as what happens all the time.
"There are a lot of simple things that go into the discussion. From Newcastle’s point of view, they've got a player who's under contract, and they've got to weigh up the balance of the finances, what they could receive, maybe having an unhappy player, or maybe keeping someone against his will.
"But at the end of the day, they've got him tied to a contract, so they do hold a big say in this whole scenario. There are three different positions at play here, and we’ll see how it transpires."
KICK OFF - Newcastle United pre-season guide 2025/26
The countdown is on to the 2025/26 Premier League campaign - and our pre-season guide is the ideal way to prepare for the action ahead.
As well as in-depth analysis and opinion on your club, we turn the spotlight on every team battling for top-flight glory - or simply survival in the toughest league in the world!
Also full fixtures guide so you don't miss a game in what is set to be a thrilling season.