KRISTJAAN Speakman has revealed that Sunderland beat a number of "high quality" sides to the capture of Marc Guiu, with the Chelsea forward having completed his season-long loan move to the Stadium of Light.
And in a further attacking boost, the Black Cats are set to confirm that Eliezer Mayenda has signed a new contract on Wearside, a major boost and a reward for the Spaniard after his starring role in last season's promotion.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Guiu will compete with Mayenda and Wilson Isidor for a starting spot next season, with Sunderland delighted to have lured the former Barcelona youngster to the Stadium of Light.
Guiu was in-demand this summer when it became clear Chelsea were keen on a loan move for the 19-year-old, who the Blues want to benefit from a season of regular football.
Sunderland will pay a loan fee for the teenager and will fund all of the forward's Chelsea wages. There's no clause for Sunderland to make the deal permanent next summer, while reports this week also claimed the Black Cats will have to pay a penalty figure to Chelsea at the end of the season if Guiu doesn't play a certain number of games or minutes.
But Sunderland are thrilled with the capture of the forward, who played 16 times for Enzo Maresca's side last season and scored six goals in Chelsea's victorious UEFA Conference League campaign.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
He also helped Maresca's side to FIFA Club World Cup success earlier this season.
RECOMMENDED READING:
Speakman said: “In a loan acquisition, we not only have to convince the player but also the parent club, and we thank Chelsea for placing their trust in us.
"Most importantly, Marc wanted to come to Sunderland and be a part of our club. The competition for his signature was significant, and he had many high-quality options this summer, so we are delighted he’s joined Sunderland.
"Marc’s a progressive striker who has key attributes that align with the role in our team. In addition to providing a threat in the final third, we believe there are many other ways he can impact games, and we look forward to helping him do that throughout the 2025-26 season."
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Guiu said: “I’m feeling great and really looking forward to the season ahead. I see myself as a powerful striker, who can make a difference on and off the ball, and I pride myself on being a natural goalscorer. This year is a huge opportunity for me to help take this team where it truly deserves to be, and I can’t wait to get started.”
The arrival of Guiu is expected to be swiftly followed by confirmation of Mayenda's new deal before the end of the week, with the striker set to commit his future to the club until 2030.
The 20-year-old established himself as a key figure for Regis Le Bris's side last season and scored 10 Championship goals, including his crucial leveller in the play-off final victory over Sheffield United.
Guiu is Sunderland's ninth signing of the summer but the Black Cats won't stop there. Strengthening at centre-half remains a priority ahead of the Premier League kick-off a week on Saturday, while there's also an interest in adding one more wide attacker to the ranks.