newcastleworld.com

Newcastle United hit with fresh Alexander Isak stumbling block as search turns to 30-goal hitman

Newcastle United could be priced out of a move for Chelsea’s Nicolas Jackson as they continue to search for an Alexander Isak replacement.

Newcastle United could well be priced out of any potential move for Nicolas Jackson - and it’s nothing to do with the exorbitant fee Chelsea are set to demand.

The Blues are said to want more than £70million for the Gambian international, who is being pushed towards the Stamford Bridge exit door. And while that’s a remarkably high fee, which the Magpies would likely try to negotiate down, should they turn their attentions to Jackson, it is not set to be the biggest stumbling block in any potential deal.

NewcastleWorld understands the player’s wage demands would be a huge problem for NUFC. Jackson is said to want astronomic wages in order to leave Chelsea, with the player, even in light of increased competition, not keen on exiting the Club World Cup champions.

Jackson only signed a new long-term contract last season, which was a sign of his happiness at the West London outfit. The deal, penned in September 2024, saw the player’s contract extended to 2033.

NUFC transfers: striker search

Newcastle’s desperation for a striker has, of course, been heightened by Alexander Isak’s behaviour this summer. The Swede was forced to train alone this week at the club’s Benton training base having previously refused to take part in the club’s pre-season trip to the Far East. That angered head coach Eddie Howe, who has claimed the player needs to ‘earn the right’ to train with the rest of the group. It is not known if he will be allowed to do that on Thursday.

Isak had been set to lead the line, with a replacement for now West Ham striker Callum Wilson being sought - but Isak’s actions have changed all of that.

Liverpool continue to monitor the situation with Isak, having turned his head with their interest earlier in the summer.

Nicolas Jackson - how many Premier League goals?

Across 81 appearances in total for Chelsea, Jackson has 30 goals. The striker did draw a blank in the recent Club World Cup win in the USA, bagging just one assist in three outings.

The Banjul-born player started his career at Casa Sports before being picked up by Villarreal. The Blues paid around £32million for the frontman two summers ago, with Jackson netting 24 goals in the Premier League across the two campaigns.

NUFC transfers - the striker merry-go-round

Newcastle are near certain to lose out in the race to sign Sesko, but as of Wednesday, that had not been communicated to the Magpies by either the player, his representatives or RB Leipzig. Even with that in mind, the club had already turned their attentions to other targets, hence the name of Jackson coming to the fore.

The intriguing thing about any pursuit of Jackson is this - the Magpies tried to sign both Liam Delap and Joao Pedro as a Callum Wilson replacement. That is Newcastle United trying to replace their No.2 striker with two players who are now fighting it out to be Chelsea No.1 in that role. The Blues No.3, and already replaced, Jackson is being targeted potentially as United’s No.1 to replace Isak? Make it make sense.

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page