Manchester United are reportedly looking to sign former Liverpool transfer target Carlos Baleba, who made his stance very clear when asked about the growing speculation around his future
Carlos Baleba celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Premier League match between Fulham FC and Brighton & Hove Albion FC at Craven Cottage.
Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba has been linked with a transfer to Manchester United
(Image: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)
Manchester United target Carlos Baleba has already shown his world-class mentality and attitude off the back of transfer speculation in the past.
United have spent well over £100million on new signings this summer and are closing in on another forward - Benjamin Sesko - for a fee of over £70m. But they are yet to sign a central midfielder, which is arguably one of the positions they need to improve in the most.
That could soon change, however, with reports emerging on Wednesday night that United intermediaries had made contact with Brighton & Hove Albion in an effort to explore a deal for 21-year-old Cameroonian Baleba.
The Red Devils appeared to have been handed a boost when journalist Fabrizio Romano reported that agreeing personal terms is not likely to be an issue with the player, who has three years left on his current deal at the AMEX Stadium.
However, Brighton chief Paul Barber has since denied claims of United making an approach for the player, stating the transfer links are merely “speculation”.
The Athletic also reported that Brighton do not intend to sanction a sale this summer and want to keep Baleba for another year. That could prove to be a huge blow to Ruben Amorim’s hopes of signing him, given Brighton’s reputation for being hard negotiators.
It also seems unlikely at this stage that United will be able to raise the funds necessary to tempt Brighton into selling their star man.
Baleba fits the profile of a midfielder Ineos are looking for at United, given his age, abilities and Premier League experience, which has led to plenty of admirers across Europe.
The player has also displayed other qualities, such as a willingness to work hard and humility. He showed his class last year when he was asked about being linked with a transfer amid reported interest from the likes of Liverpool.
When asked about talk of a potential move to other Premier League sides, a 20-year-old Baleba emphasised he was not focused on other clubs, instead stating he was eager to keep progressing and even hinted he may not be ready to be a star player at a top club.
Carlos Baleba of Brighton & Hove Albion runs with the ball under pressure from Kobbie Mainoo of Manchester United during the Premier League match between Brighton & Hove Albion FC and Manchester United FC at Amex Stadium on August 24, 2024 in Brighton, England.
Baleba is said to be open to an Old Trafford move
(Image: Getty Images)
"I don’t really think like that: playing for two or three years and then leaving. Me? I just work. In my head it’s all about working and helping my club," Baleba told Sky Sports.
"If I can help a team-mate, I will. If they can help me, I’ll accept that help to push forward and develop. So, I just work to help my team and for myself, to progress for the future.
"In return, everyone who helps me wants me to go to the highest level. And if there are big clubs who want me, it’s not something that worries me or gets me excited. I just need to work hard and keep a cool head.
"I don’t know if I’m going to be the star or the next big thing. For me, being the star is quite a lot. Everyone talking about you, singing your name? That just doesn’t do it for me.
"It’s not something that gets me running. I just prefer getting my head down and working on the pitch."
The Cameroon international signed for Brighton in 2023 after Alexis Mac Allister and Moises Caicedo left the club. Since then, he has been one of the standout central midfielders in the Premier League, making 77 appearances for the Seagulls in all competitions.