Brighton & Hove Albion chief executive and deputy chairman Paul Barber has said that Manchester United have not been in touch to discuss a possible deal for Carlos Baleba this summer.
On Wednesday evening, reports emerged that Baleba had been identified as Man United's leading midfield target for the remainder of the transfer window, and it has been claimed that the Red Devils have been in touch with Brighton through intermediaries to discuss a potential move.
Barber has denied that there has been contact from the 20-time English champions, but the Brighton chief has not entirely ruled out a departure for the Cameroon international before the end of the summer market.
“We have got some great talent. There is always going to be interest in our players. Manchester United have not been in touch with me. From that point of view, speculation is speculation," he said at a fans’ forum at the Amex.
“We will always try and make sure we sell our best players at the right time, not just for the player but also for us. If we end up doing that with any player it is with a view to leaving Fabian with a very competitive squad whatever happens.
Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Carlos Baleba in September 2024.
Brighton chief: 'No contact from Man United over Baleba'
“We don’t want to sell our best players. Carlos is a fantastic talent who has got a lot of years ahead of him and we hope he will be here for many years to come.
“But it is something which, as always, is subject to dynamics of the football world, which is not always predictable.”
The 21-year-old has made 77 appearances for Brighton since arriving from Lille in the summer of 2023, scoring four goals and registering two assists in the process.
Baleba has a contract at the Amex until June 2028, with the option of a further 12 months, placing the Seagulls in a strong position when it comes to any potential negotiations.
According to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, the midfielder has not closed the door on a move to Man United this summer after direct contact was made with his camp, but a deal is 'very difficult'.
Brighton & Hove Albion's Carlos Baleba celebrates scoring against West Ham United on April 26, 2025
Ferdinand urges Man United to "break the bank" for Baleba
Former Man United captain Rio Ferdinand recently said on his official YouTube account: "If I don’t get a striker, I’d go midfield. There’s only one name I’m thinking about, I’ve got to be honest, who I think fits the bill for what we need.
“An Amorim-type player as well. Physically great, can drive with the ball, can take it in all areas, very good tactically, great energy, great legs, Premier League experience, centre midfield. (Carlos) Baleba. That’s who I go and get. That’s my man. That’s the one I go and get. I go and break the bank.”
Christian Eriksen's exit on a free transfer at the end of June has opened up space in the squad for a new midfielder, and that is viewed as a priority position to improve before the transfer window closes.
However, Brighton could ultimately price Man United out of a deal, with the Seagulls thought to want at least £85m for the Cameroonian, while other reports have placed his valuation at closer to £100m.
ID:578754:1false2false3false: from db desktop :LenBod:collect4630: