Man United have been credited with interest in signing Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Carlos Baleba.
Matheus Cunha tries to keep possession under pressure from Carlos Baleba.
Carlos Baleba (left) and Matheus Cunha could soon join forces at Manchester United.
(Image: Jack Thomas - WWFC/Wolves via Getty Images.)
Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Carlos Baleba has already claimed Matheus Cunha has told him he is capable of winning the Ballon d'Or amid the prospect of them becoming teammates at Manchester United.
According to a report by The Athletic, United have 'made contact' with Brighton, via intermediaries, to explore the possibility of bringing him to Old Trafford.
Despite prioritising attacking signings so far this summer, United remain in the market for a midfielder ahead of the transfer window closing on September 1. Baleba was excellent for the Seagulls last season, establishing himself as one of the Premier League's most highly-rated youngsters.
Capable of doing a little bit of everything in the engine room, the 21-year-old would provide the energy, aggression and ball-carrying expertise United sorely lack in midfield. However, it remains to be seen if United will be able to fund a deal for him amid their ongoing pursuit of RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Sesko.
Signed from Lille in August 2023, Baleba has gone from strength-to-strength in Brighton colours, producing a collection of eye-catching midfield performances. His all-round game makes him a very attractive player.
Taking inspiration from Manchester City midfield star Rodri, Baleba revealed in May that he has ambitions of winning the Ballon d'Or in the future, admitting he has earned encouragement from Premier League colleagues, including United ace Cunha.
"Declan Rice, Matheus Cunha, Joelinton, they've all told me I've got it in me," Baleba told The Sun earlier this summer. "I want to win the Ballon d'Or like Rodri.
"I watched him during the Euros and before his injury I played against him and time I got the ball, he was right in front of me. It was my first game against Manchester City, and it was very difficult.
"He made it so hard to dribble or pass. That showed his class. His success has opened the door for midfielders like us to believe we can win the Ballon d'Or someday."
Here at the Manchester Evening News, we're dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don't miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.
And finally, if you'd rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.