Latest Liverpool transfer news as Alexander Isak will reportedly miss Newcastle's Sela Cup double header against Espanyol and Atletico Madrid
Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak.
Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak will reportedly miss their upcoming friendlies.
(Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Liverpool target Alexander Isak will not feature in Newcastle United's upcoming pre-season tournament, according to reports. The Swede has been forced to train on his own after being left in the cold following his return to the North East.
The 25-year-old was omitted from their pre-season tour of the Far East with a thigh injury, but while his teammates stepped up their preparations for the forthcoming Premier League season, he returned to the training base of former club Real Sociedad while speculation over a move to Liverpool intensified. Arne Slot's side have already seen a £110million bid rejected but the ECHO has previously reported that they will return to the table with a second offer after the Magpies' firm stance.
According to our sister title ChronicleLive, Isak has been told to train alone after expressing his desire to explore his options with the Premier League champions showing a firm interest in his services.
It was said that the forward was due to have a meeting with Eddie Howe for the first time after his minor thigh injury restricted him from featuring in any of their pre-season friendlies.
According to the Daily Mail's Craig Hope, Isak will remain out in the cold for their pre-season friendly tournament at St James' Park against Espanyol on Friday and Atletico Madrid.
He maintains that for the talismanic forward to leave the North East, Liverpool would need to make an acceptable offer and the Magpies to have "replacement(s)" on their way.
"He’s like any other player, we would expect him to come in and train as normal," Howe said after their pre-season tour.
"There is also another way to look at this. You have to earn the right to train with us. We’re Newcastle United.
"The player has a responsibility here to be part of a team and part of a squad - you have to act in the right way.
"So that is also at play here.
“We will make sure that any player does that to earn the right to train with the group. No player can expect to act poorly and train with the group as normal."
On Thursday, Liverpool sanctioned the £46.3million sale of Darwin Nunez to Saudi Pro League side Al-Hilal in the latest Anfield departure.
Nunez is set to sign a three-year deal in the kingdom, which leaves the Reds looking for replacements after an attacking exodus this summer.
For the latest news and breaking news, visitliverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/liverpool-fc_. Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us onTwitter @LivEchoLFC - the official Liverpool ECHO LFC Twitter account - for all the latest LFC news as it happens in real time.
We're also onFacebook/LiverpoolEchoLFC - your must-see LFC news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Liverpool ECHO.
Listen to our podcasts by searching for 'Blood Red' wherever you get your podcasts.
Sign up for one of the Liverpool Echo's free daily and weekly newsletters onLiverpool FC by clicking here.