Everton’s interest in Southampton’s Tyler Dibling has certainly put fans on a rollercoaster ride over the last week.
Taking a club’s best player away was never going to be an easy task, but David Moyes must have been left pulling his hair out in recent days.
Everton have been informed Southampton want £50m for Dibling, which is a figure that most clubs are likely going to pass on.
The 19-year-old is undoubtedly a bright talent, but Southampton are asking huge money for a player who has very little Premier League experience.
If that’s what Southampton feel Dibling is worth to them, then who is anyone to suggest otherwise, but that would likely rule out a deal for Everton.
Southampton’s CEO has told Everton to cough up for Dibling over the last 24 hours, with Everton’s stance now being shared.
Tottenham Hotspur FC v Southampton FC - Premier League
Photo by Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images
Whether Everton will make another Tyler Dibling transfer push
Interestingly, Dibling has now requested to leave Southampton amid the interest landing from Everton.
Unfortunately for the Blues, it seems as if the Saints are not willing to loosen their demands on the £50m valuation.
MORE EVERTON STORIES
Speaking on The Game podcast, Paul Joyce has now shared where Everton stand in their pursuit of Dibling this summer.
“My understanding is Everton recognised as long ago as last weekend that it would be a difficult deal to do,” Joyce said.
“The two clubs are far apart in their valuations. Southampton countered with a deal which would be in excess of £50m when a complicated sell-on deal was factored in, and I mean well in excess of £50m.
“Despite some of the noise, I think Everton feel it’s going to take Southampton to really climb down on the price and I think they’ll be looking elsewhere.”
After Everton’s strong interest in the 19-year-old, Dibling has been training individually at Southampton, which may speak volumes about his situation.
It will certainly be a frustrating one for Everton, with Moyes pushing for a new winger to be signed ahead of the new campaign.
Southampton well within their rights to demand £50m for Dibling
As frustrating as it is, the Saints cannot be blamed for wanting the highest possible price for their exciting prospect.
Dibling could offer Everton a lot this season as he is also able to play across the front line.
If a club were to come in for Iliman Ndiaye, for example, Everton would be expected to try and price a club out of their interest. That’s exactly what Southampton are doing.
What will be interesting to see over the coming days and weeks is whether Dibling proceeds to force a move away this summer.
Having already demanded a transfer, the youngster could well force Southampton into lowering their valuation if he is to refuse to play.
Southampton face Wrexham on Saturday. It will be interesting to see whether Dibling is included in the squad.