standard.co.uk

Howe holds Isak discussion as striker in exile amid Liverpool interest

Neither here nor there: Alexander Isak has been left out of first-team activities at Newcastle as he pushes for a move to Liverpool

The Swede is caught up in an acrimonious transfer saga. He excused himself from Newcastle’s pre-season tour of Asia, citing a minor thigh injury, as he looked to ‘explore his options’ regarding a transfer.

Newcastle are desperate to keep him in black-and-white stripes next season despite his evident desire to leave, with Liverpool thought to be readying an improved bid.

They are braced for him to force a move, though, as Standard Sport reported on Friday the club has reopened talks to sign Brentford’s Yoane Wissa as a potential replacement.

Isak has been training away from the rest of the first-team since they returned from tour, and was absent from the matchday squad as the Geordies drew 2-2 with Espanyol in a friendly on Friday night. He was also barred from attending the team’s family barbecue earlier this week.

Speaking at full time, Howe said it was ‘clear’ that Isak would continue to train alone.

“We’ve had discussions, and it’s clear at the moment we can’t have him involved with the group,” he said.

“I don’t know how long that will be for. It’s clear I can’t involve him with the team at the moment.

Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal in Eze approach; Rodrygo loan; for Man Utd sign Sesko

Chelsea 'send clear Jackson transfer message' as rivals plot move

Wissa left out of Brentford friendly squad amid Newcastle interest

Who should win the AXA Startup Angel People’s Choice award?

Howe continued, insisting that the player had a future with the club despite the high-profile saga: “He is here, so of course he has a future at Newcastle.

“From our perspective, we would love to have him back with the team, but the situation has to be right for that to happen."

Howe also confirmed the player had not been disciplined for his decision to skip pre-season: “There have been discussions since the tour. I don’t think disciplinary action has happened.”

“The player has a responsibility here to be part of a team and part of a squad,” he declared.

“You have to act in the right way. No player can expect to act poorly and train with the group as normal."

Read full news in source page