rousingthekop.com

'I'm told': Newcastle tried something last-ditch to keep Isak from joining Liverpool earlier this week - Romano

Newcastle are not giving up hope of keeping Alexander Isak out of the clutches of Liverpool this summer.

The Magpies have been wrestling with the fact that their star player wants out since the middle of July.

Having seemingly refused to go on tour with the club, and having since been training away from his teammates, Isak has made it abundantly clear that he wants to join the Reds.

However, with Newcastle so far failing to land a suitable replacement, the Swede may not get his way after all.

Liverpool are still hopeful of signing Isak, but they need Newcastle’s luck to change in the transfer market first.

But while seeing the Toon buy a new striker is a key part of this saga, they also need to soften their stance on letting Isak out of the door. According to journalist Fabrizio Romano, that has not happened yet.

Alexander Isak pictured in his warm-up gear ahead of the Premier League clash between Newcastle and Brentford.

Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images

Newcastle offered last ditch contract to Alexander Isak

Although it has been clear for a while now that Isak wants to join Liverpool, Newcastle are not yet accepting of the situation.

Part of the problem appears to be that the 25-year-old feels he was promised a bumper new contract last summer, one which ultimately never came to fruition.

MORE LIVERPOOL STORIES

While this has left Isak looking for the exit door, Newcastle have been trying to make amends. Speaking on his YouTube channel on Friday night, Romano says this included making a last-ditch contract offer to the player as recently as this week.

“Isak, I’m told, told Newcastle in a very clear message this week that he’s not willing to sign a new contract at the club,” reports the transfer expert.

READ MORE: Liverpool considering Charlie Cresswell move as Giovanni Leoni urged to stay in Italy

“Newcastle tried again earlier this week to offer him a new contract but the player at the moment, you never know in football this could change in the next days and weeks, but in this moment Isak has no intention to sign a new contract at Newcastle.

“Isak wants to go to Liverpool, so this story remains absolutely on. It’s not over.”

Newcastle looking at Nicolas Jackson

You have to admire the brass neck on Newcastle in this one. Instead of simply admitting defeat and planning for life without Isak, they are burying their heads in the sand as far as they will go.

🇸🇪 Eddie Howe on Alexander Isak situation…

🗣️ "We’ve had discussions & it’s clear at the moment we can’t have him involved with the group. I don’t know how long that will be for. It’s clear I can’t involve him with the team at the moment.

‘He is training later than the rest of… https://t.co/CifLbTL6Mg

— Craig Hope (@CraigHope_DM) August 8, 2025

View Tweet

Had they dealt with his desire to leave when he reportedly told the club he wanted to go – which is said to have been during last season – they could have had their replacements through the door long ago.

Instead, they are now scrambling in the transfer market. And having lost out on a multitude of forward targets already this summer, Romano says they are now turning their attention towards Chelsea’s Nicolas Jackson.

“Newcastle maintain their active interest in Nicolas Jackson,” he claims. “Kolo Muani is not a target. No talks, no negotiations, Kolo Muani is focused on joining Juventus.”

“On Nico Jackson, keep an eye on Newcastle. Many reports of £80m. The feeling in the industry is maybe this fee can be negotiated. Newcastle are interested but he’s not the only name. Obviously, this will have a massive impact on the situation of Alexander Isak. “

Read full news in source page