newcastleworld.com

Newcastle United agree personal terms with 24-year-old as new bid submitted

Newcastle United’s long search for a centre-back could be nearing its conclusion.

The Magpies have long been admirers of Thiaw and showed a genuine interest last summer before switching their attention to Crystal Palace captain Marc Guehi.

United engaged in a month-long saga to sign Guehi but it ultimately proved fruitless. A year on, and Eddie Howe is still yet to strengthen at centre-back.

Guehi is available for £40million this summer but Premier League champions Liverpool is understood to be his first-choice. As such, Newcastle are looking elsewhere and in recent days have stepped up their pursuit of Thiaw.

Newcastle United submit improved bid for Malick Thiaw

Thiaw looked set to leave last month when Milan accepted a £21million bid from Serie A rivals Como 1907, however the player did not agree to the move and it was therefore called off. Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri has since decided he would like to keep the 24-year-old, in turn driving the German’s price tag up.

As widely reported, Milan rejected a £26m bid from Newcastle earlier this week but according to Fabrizio Romano they have now returned with an improved bid.

Thiaw, it’s claimed, has already agreed personal terms with the Magpies, with a move subject to the two clubs agreeing a fee.

Romano wrote on X: “Newcastle have improved their proposal to AC Milan for Malick Thiaw as personal terms are agreed. Negotiationd underway club to club, as Milan manager Allegri wants to keep Thiaw; but improved bid has now been submitted.”

Eddie Howe delivers Newcastle United transfer message

Howe was asked about transfers after Friday’s 2-2 draw against Espanyol and said: “I am hopeful but I've been hopeful for a number of weeks. Because, as I've said so many times, everybody behind the scenes has been working incredibly hard, very keen to try and get some movement in the transfer market.

“But it is difficult. It has to be the right player at the right price. There's a lot of conditions that have to be right for a transfer to go through.

Read More

“I do believe that we can still produce a very strong team. The balance of the squad isn't quite right, and we know that. We hope to adjust that with some of the signings we hope to make. But let's wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

“I think the message is that we are working as hard as we can to the benefit of Newcastle, to try and improve the squad, to keep the squad together and harmonious. And I think the biggest thing for the supporters is that they see everyone fighting for the same cause on the pitch. Fighting with every ounce they have for long-term success. I don't expect that to change.

“I expect us to be ready for when the season starts, to give our all. We need that united feel throughout the club. And that's why we've had success, because the supporters have been with us. They've seen the effort that we've given. And now it's our job to make sure that's evident again.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page