The tremors from the purchase of Benjamin Sesko and the interest in Carlos Baleba are set to be felt at Manchester United for the rest of the summer.
Man Utd have exceeded pre-window expectations so far by splurging north of £200m on three players without a single permanent sale to bring the net spend down.
It’s fair to assume that with the interest in Baleba, who is expected to cost north of £100m and, ideally, a goalkeeper as well, a necessary amount of sales will be needed.
United in Focus can now exclusively reveal that an acceptance has been reached that a well-liked player in Ruben Amorim’s squad ‘will be leaving’ this summer.
Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes and Rasmus Hojlund celebrate in pre-season.
Photo by Vincent Carchietta/Getty Images
Rasmus Hojlund transfer latest
The fears over the Old Trafford future of Rasmus Hojlund started gathering momentum the moment United spent an initial £66m on Sesko.
With Joshua Zirkzee as an option, and Chido Obi itching for a breakout eventually, Amorim has deemed Hojlund expendable.
Leny Yoro, Rasmus Hojlund, Mason Mount and Luke Shaw of Manchester United walk out ahead of the Premier League Summer Series match between Manchester United and AFC Bournemouth at Soldier Field on July 30, 2025
Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images
The asking price for Hojlund is contentious, to say the least, but transfer insider Graeme Bailey, speaking to United in Focus, has now reported that the likely outcome is that the Dane finds himself at another club by the end of this window.
Bailey said: “I am told by sources close to the club that the ‘inconvenient truth’ is that Rasmus Hojlund will be leaving. He is a great guy, everyone likes him, his teammates like him – but with Benjamin Sesko coming in, United need to move him on, and I am told it is highly unlikely that he will still be at Old Trafford by the end of the month.
More United News
“Juventus are ready to move on from Vlahovic, and they like Hojlund. They are keeping tabs on him, but their priority is to secure Randal Kolo Muani.
“There is interest in Germany and we are told that can’t be discounted at this point but Serie A remains the most likely destination. It is very much likely to be a loan of some manner.”
A straight loan would be the best outcome for all parties
AC Milan hold an interest in Hojlund but the player’s determination to stay has put off potential suitors.
Up until now, United hadn’t communicated clearly that they wanted him to leave, which could have played a part in the player making public statements about staying.
However, if the need to sell Hojlund isn’t driven by financial reasons, then a straight loan might be the best outcome for all parties.
Hojlund can hopefully find his mojo away from Old Trafford, and likely back in Italy, where he was breaking through at Atalanta.
United will keep hold of a striker, earn some money from a season-long loan, and hopefully have a confident player back in place if and when they return to European football and a heavier fixture list next season.
All of this changes if United need to sell the player, but that won’t make much difference if all they receive are loan offers with buy options.
If they are to agree to a loan, the best way might as well be to agree on a straight loan, banking on Hojlund finding his form.
His current race might be run at Man Utd, but there’s no reason why he can’t start a new one next season.