givemesport.com

“New things to say…” - Fabrizio Romano shares big update on Alexander Isak to Liverpool

Newcastle United's attempts to positively end the Alexander Isak saga amid his intentions to leave St. James' Park haven't been successful, according to Fabrizio Romano - with the esteemed journalist stating that the Swedish star has told the club 'very clearly' that he isn't willing to sign a new contract on Tyneside.

Isak has been one of the Premier League's best players since his move to Newcastle from Real Sociedad three years ago, scoring 23 top-flight goals last time out to fire the Magpies into the Champions League - and naturally, that will result in interest from other sides in the competition.

Romano: Isak Won't Sign Newcastle Deal, Offer Made to Keep Him

alexander isak

Liverpool, as a result, have taken an interest. Their opening formal bid was turned down instantly by the Magpies, leading them astray and with Isak in limbo, having noted his desire to depart the club for Anfield - and with three weeks left in the transfer window, it's still unsure as to where he will be on the September 1 deadline.

But Romano believes that although the story isn't closed in terms of his potential switch to join up with Arne Slot's squad, one scenario that certainly won't be happening is Isak signing a new contract on Tyneside - with the former Borussia Dortmund star saying in a 'very clear way' to St. James' Park chiefs that he will not sign a new deal after efforts were made to do so this week, thus potentially forcing them to accept a bid from their Premier League rivals. Romano said on his YouTube channel:

"Isak, I am told, there are new things to say tonight. He has said in a very clear way to Newcastle this week that he is not willing to sign a new contract at the club.

"So Newcastle tried again earlier this week to offer him a new contract, but the player at the moment - we never know in football - has no intention to sign a new contract at Newcastle. Isak wants to go to Liverpool, and so this story remains absolutely on. It's not over, follow that one."

The Reds have signed Hugo Ekitike up front, but with Darwin Nunez all but sealing a move to the Saudi Pro League alongside the tragic passing of Diogo Jota, Ekitike will be the only out-and-out striker at the Premier League champions once Nunez's switch is confirmed, which could lead them to make a late push for Isak as the window continues to tick down.

Sign up to The GIVEMESPORT Reportto get exclusive daily updates from Fabrizio Romano, Ben Jacobs, Dean Jones and Tom Bogert sent straight to your inbox.

Read full news in source page