Man United added to their tally of summer signings on Saturday with the addition of Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig.
George is a Senior Football Writer for the Manchester Evening News, mostly covering Manchester United. He previously worked for football.london before joining the MEN team in July 2021. As well as covering United, George is a Championship-enthusiast and co-hosts The Championship Chat Podcast (@Champchatpod24), which you can find on all major podcast platforms.
Manchester United chief executive Omar Berrada.
Manchester United have delivered on Omar Berrada's promise.(Image: Qin Zhicheng/VCG via Getty Images.)
Following their 1-0 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in the Europa League final, Manchester United could have been forgiven for fearing the worst ahead of this summer's transfer window.
The slender reverse to their Premier League counterparts in Bilbao ended their hopes of competing in Europe this coming season and confirmed their worst season for 51 years.
At the time, the consequences of failing to qualify for the Champions League, ahead of a transfer window of such importance, felt as though they would be catastrophic.
However, United have been able to prove they still have an ace up their sleeve that will never be taken away from them: their pulling power.
With just a week to go until their Premier League opener against Arsenal at Old Trafford, United have completed four summer signings, the latest of which, Benjamin Sesko, was unveiled to his new army of supporters ahead of Saturday's friendly against Fiorentina.
The Slovenian striker has joined the club on the back of a 21-goal season at RB Leipzig and has become United's third attacking signing of the summer, following the earlier additions of Matheus Cunha from Wolves and Bryan Mbeumo from Brentford.
Despite only turning 22 at the end of May, Sesko has already banked plenty of credit, establishing himself as one of the most highly-rated young strikers in the business. His signature could end up costing United £73.7million.
While no signing is guaranteed to succeed at any club, United will be hopeful Sesko, who is no stranger to Reds recruitment director Christopher Vivell, will be able to deliver the goods. He has a varied skillset and has drawn comparisons to Erling Haaland in the past.
After registering a goal difference of -10 in the Premier League last season, the addition of a striker has been United's leading objective this summer. To have ticked off that task before the start of the season is a huge bonus.
Benjamin Sesko holds up a Manchester United shirt inside the centre circle at Old Trafford.
Benjamin Sesko has arrived from RB Leipzig.
Although United's newly assembled forward line could end up costing them north of £200m, a front-three of Mbeumo, Cunha and Sesko was a pipe dream only a few months ago. It was feared the Europa League final defeat could put a massive dent in United's recruitment plans.
However, just as chief executive Omar Berrada outlined during the post-season tour in May, United always planned to show a sense of ambition this summer.
"We have a very clear idea where we need to invest in the squad to improve," Berrada said. "So Jason [Wilcox], his team and Ruben [Amorim] have been in talks, as I said, for many months.
"Now it's a question of executing that plan and doing it in a way that is prudent but, at the same time, with ambition."
Last season, Cunha, Mbeumo and Sesko scored 58 goals between them across all competitions. With that in mind, United have put their money where their mouth is.
Cunha scored 17 goals in all competitions, Mbeumo plundered 20 in the Premier League and Sesko got 21 across the Bundesliga, the DFB-Pokal and the Champions League. Cunha and Mbeumo were also among the Premier League's best players.
Matheus Cunha and Bryan Mbeumo in action for Manchester United against Fiorentina at Old Trafford.
Matheus Cunha (left) and Bryan Mbeumo have arrived at Old Trafford in big-money deals.
With just over three weeks of the window remaining, United still have aspirations of bringing in a goalkeeper and a midfielder. They have been linked with highly-rated Brighton midfield ace Carlos Baleba this week, and he would be another statement addition if it were to happen.
But regardless of what happens between now and the window closing on September 1, United have enjoyed a productive summer. Cunha, Mbeumo and Sesko are statement signings and that have immediately upgraded what was the Reds' weakest department.
They were often bereft of attacking ideas last season and their goals tally reflected that weakness. However, that really shouldn't be a problem this term with the forward line that has been assembled.
The defeat to Spurs at the San Mames Stadium now feels like a distant memory.