Anthony Gordon of Newcastle United reacts on the floor while holding his leg during the pre-season friendly match between Newcastle United and Atletico Madrid at St James' Park on August 09, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)placeholder image
Anthony Gordon of Newcastle United reacts on the floor while holding his leg during the pre-season friendly match between Newcastle United and Atletico Madrid at St James' Park on August 09, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images) | Getty Images
Anthony Gordon limped off during Newcastle United’s 2-0 defeat to Atletico Madrid on Saturday.
The 24-year-old is set to start the new campaign as an emergency striker with Alexander Isak currently out of the picture after having his head turned by Premier League champions Liverpool.
Isak is training alone at Newcastle, with Howe confirming there is little chance of the wantaway Swede featuring at Villa Park. As such, Gordon is expected to get the nod ahead of Will Osula.
Newcastle United star Anthony Gordon issues injury update
Gordon has led the line in Isak’s absence before, having started as the central striker in his last two friendlies against Tottenham Hotspur and Atletico Madrid.
The former Everton man hobbled off in the 84th minute against Atletico, sparking fear of an injury. But Gordon has taken to Instagram to allay supporters’ fears, writing “Just twisted my ankle. No problems. Glad to be back home. Business time next...”
Gordon’s post came just hours after Howe said: “Yeah, we hope he's okay. I think he's got an ankle problem. Initially, maybe he thought it was a muscle problem, but the good news is I think it was just a twist. So the initial feeling is he should be okay.
“The last thing I want, I think, going into the last week, is any type of injury to any player so we don't have the depth currently to cover that, so fingers crossed he's okay.”
Alexander Isak training alone at Newcastle United
Howe wants Isak to return to the group, but has strongly suggested that the player is of no mind to do so currently having set his heart on a move to Liverpool.
When asked what it will take for Isak to return, Howe replied: “That's not for me to answer. That's for him to answer. But, yeah, it's probably not, again, worth going into detail.”
Read More
First speaking about Isak’s situation on Friday, Howe said: “We've had discussions and it's clear at the moment that we can't involve him with the group. So, yeah, I don't know how long that will be for. That's the latest.
“He's here, of course he has a future at Newcastle. Certainly from our perspective, everyone connected with the club, we would love to see him back with the team. But the situation has to be right for that time.
“I'd want Alex to be playing today. I'd want him training tomorrow. We would love the player to be with us. Let me make that absolutely clear, there is no part of me that doesn’t want that outcome. But I don’t see that changing [the current situation] before Aston Villa.”
Liverpool saw a £110million bid rejected for Isak earlier this month and have decided not to return to the table until Newcastle make progress on signing another striker.
Continue Reading