On Saturday, we covered claims from Italy that Newcastle United have an agreement with Malick Thiaw for personal terms. It was also reported the Magpies are in advanced negotiations with AC Milan.
Newcastle had already signalled their intention to make an improved offer of €40m with bonuses after their €30m bid was rejected. Milan were waiting for the official confirmation from Eddie Howe’s side.
Sunday’s edition of Corriere dello Sport says Newcastle offered €40m including bonuses yesterday and it was accepted by Milan.
Massimiliano Allegri wanted to retain the centre-back. Corriere adds the Rossoneri tried to retain him by offering him an extension. This didn’t work out because the 24-year-old has decided to move to Newcastle.
Therefore, Milan have decided to cash in on Thiaw, after receiving an ‘indispensable’ bid from the English club. He said goodbye to his teammates and will undergo medical tests with Newcastle in the next few hours.
Another newspaper, Gazzetta dello Sports, reports Allegri never wanted to part ways with the defender.
“These guys are all good, and Thiaw is one of them. We’ll make the right assessments with the club,” he said, as quoted by Gazzetta.
The Germany international has already informed Milan’s leaders of his desire to join the Premier League club. They tried to retain him by offering an improved renewal offer.
Gazzetta reports Milan sporting director Igli Tare made the last attempt on Saturday, by offering him a contract worth €3m net per year. However, the Germany international has rejected it to join Newcastle.
At that point, Milan realised it was ‘inevitable that the deal would be finalised’, after the Magpies offered €35m plus €5m bonuses.
Allegri’s side face Chelsea in a pre-season friendly at Stamford Bridge today. Thiaw will return with the team to Milan later today and then travel with his family to England on Monday for Newcastle medical.