givemesport.com

"That deal..." - Fabrizio Romano shares fresh update after reports Isak won't be sold to…

Newcastle United fans were met with the news that their club won't be selling Alexander Isak to Liverpool earlier in the week, in a small glimmer of hope for the new campaign - but Fabrizio Romano has poured cold water on that notion, with the Italian journalist stating that he is 'not aware' of such a situation.

Telegraph journalist Luke Edwards claimed earlier on Saturday with his report that Isak has been told that he will be 'going nowhere' this summer, amid Liverpool's interest and their first official bid earlier in the month, which totalled £110million - falling short of Newcastle's valuation.

Romano: Alexander Isak Could Still be Sold

Alexander Isak in action for Newcastle United

The Magpies' stance is thought to have sparked 'fury' with the Swedish star, who is pushing hard for a move to Merseyside after their sustained period of success in terms of winning domestic trophies and the Champions League over the past decade - but Newcastle are so far playing hard ball in terms of their star leaving.

And, amid previous reports claiming that Isak had turned down any thoughts of a new contract at St. James' Park, Romano believed that Eddie Howe could still lose his star man in the coming weeks - stating on his YouTube channel that a deal is 'absolutely likely'. The reporter said:

"We had some news saying that Newcastle communicated to Alexander Isak that he is not going to be sold this summer. I'm not aware of that, and also Eddie Howe, over the evening, said 'I'm not aware of that'.

"The manager of Newcastle has been told: 'Why don't you give Isak the chance to return, and why don't you try to change his mind?'.

"And he said: 'If it was that easy, obviously I wanted to do that'.

"But it's not easy at all because Alexander Isak wants to go to Liverpool. He maintains his position, he doesn't want to extend the contract, he wants the Liverpool move and Liverpool want Alexander Isak. So that deal remains absolutely on, absolutely concrete and absolutely likely."

Isak's 23 Premier League goals last season have made him one of the world's best attackers, only scoring less than Reds star Mohamed Salah in the Premier League last season as he dragged Newcastle to a fifth-placed finish.

And, with Darwin Nunez's move to the Saudi Pro League being confirmed on Saturday evening, there is now money to bring in a new target - especially after Luis Diaz's move to Bayern Munich earlier in the transfer window.

Sign up to The GIVEMESPORT Reportto get exclusive daily updates from Fabrizio Romano, Ben Jacobs, Dean Jones and Tom Bogert sent straight to your inbox.

Read full news in source page