manchesterworld.uk

Man Utd explore move for 57-goal Premier League ace wanted by Sunderland, Newcastle United and West Ham

Fiorentina manager Stefano Pioli looks on with Manchester United Head Coach / Manager Ruben Amorim during the pre-season friendly match between Manchester United and ACF Fiorentina at Old Trafford on August 9, 2025 in Manchester, England.placeholder image

Fiorentina manager Stefano Pioli looks on with Manchester United Head Coach / Manager Ruben Amorim during the pre-season friendly match between Manchester United and ACF Fiorentina at Old Trafford on August 9, 2025 in Manchester, England. | Manchester United via Getty Imag

Manchester United are exploring a move to provide some back-up to Benjamin Sesko

Manchester United have further bolstered their forward options after completing a deal to sign Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig on Saturday afternoon.

The Red Devils still want to add a more mobile midfielder and a new goalkeeper before the September 1 transfer deadline with Carlos Baleba and Gianluigi Donnarumma linked for those respective positions in recent days.

However, another report has indicated United have looked to the free agent market to add some depth to their forward positions as they explore a move for ex-Everton man Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

The 11-time England international left the Toffees at the end of his contract after struggling with injury in recent seasons.

Man Utd explore move for Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Per a report from Caught Offside, United are looking at adding Calvert-Lewin to their squad as a back-up option. With Sesko signed, it is unlikely the Red Devils would want the former Everton man in as a starter.

Amorim is said to want a strong rotation option in every position and views Calvert-Lewin as a capable “third or fourth-choice striker.” The interest comes after Newcastle United opened talks but they hit “a standstill over the player’s salary expectations.”

West Ham are also interested along with Sunderland, with the Black Cats dubbed “the most aggressive domestic bidder.” Sunderland are looking to build a Premier League-ready squad after their promotion and are willing to offer first-team football to Calvert-Lewin, along with a “lucrative” contract.

What does this mean for Rasmus Hojlund?

United are open to selling Rasmus Hojlund after Sesko’s arrival but the ex-Atalanta man is eager to fight for his spot at Old Trafford.

Hojlund is under contract until the summer of 2023 after joining for £72m two years ago. Under profit and sustainability rules, clubs can spread player fees over the length of their contracts - up to a maximum of five years. The amortisation means that United would need to need to sell Hojlund for £43.2m this summer to avoid making a loss under PSR rules.

However, Hojlund does not want to leave Old Trafford.

“The most important [thing] for me is to keep working hard and stay focused and then we’ll see what happens,” Hojlund said last week before the arrival of Benjamin Sesko. “My plan is very clear and that is for me to stay and fight for my spot.”

He added: “Competition is fine with me, it sharpens me. I’m more than ready.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page