inews.co.uk

Everton seal Jack Grealish loan - but walk away from Tyler Dibling transfer

Everton have sealed a season-long loan for Jack Grealish, with the Manchester City winger set for a medical.

The exact terms of the deal still need to be finalised but Everton have committed around £12m to the loan and are covering the majority of Grealish’s £300,000-a-week contract.

For his part, Grealish – who has been doing his due diligence on the deal since the early part of the summer, asking mutual acquaintances about Everton and playing under David Moyes – is excited at the prospect of once again becoming the main man as the Toffees move into Hill Dickinson Stadium later this month.

Grealish spent much of last season on the bench (Photo: Getty)

The i Paper revealed in late July that Everton had begun exploring the deal and it accelerated largely because of Grealish’s enthusiasm to make the move.

It was claimed that Grealish was due for a medical on Monday – though club sources said nothing was ongoing at this point – and he will be on board in time for their Premier League season opener at Leeds United.

Grealish made only seven starts last season but the move ticks so many boxes for Everton.

He has the personality and charisma to be the figurehead of a new era at the club and also a huge point to prove as he battles to regain his England place before next year’s World Cup.

Thomas Tuchel told him that he needed to play regularly to book his place in the squad and there will be no issues on that front at Everton, with Grealish guaranteed a key role in Moyes’s new-look side.

For City, it represents the first of their expensive fringe men being allowed to leave.

Although they favoured a permanent move, getting the majority of his wages covered – Everton are thought to be paying up to £250,000-a-week – is a victory.

Your next read

Grealish leaves the Etihad with a point to prove.

Pep Guardiola made him a key man in the club’s Treble-winning season but Grealish fell out of favour last season, to the extent he was an unused substitute in the FA Cup final to Crystal Palace, and there have been questions about his lifestyle and commitment in recent months.

He now has the chance to respond to them emphatically with performances on the pitch, a motivation which has encouraged Everton to take the plunge on the player when other Premier League clubs have opted to pass.

The Toffees are looking to make further signings before the start of the season but The i Paper understands they are walking away from a deal from Tyler Dibling due to what they feel are Southampton’s excessive demands.

Everton made a bid of £32m plus add ons last week, which was rejected. Saints want £45m plus £5m in add-ons and a 25 per cent sell-on clause.

Everton have made it clear they won’t go that high and are now moving onto other targets.

Whether that is a tactic or not remains to be seen – and Everton’s interest remains – but they consider Southampton’s demands excessive. where they could go next

Read full news in source page