Chelsea outcast Nicolas Jackson is favouring a summer move to Newcastle United, The Telegraph journalist Jason Burt has revealed.
The Senegalese international is expected to depart Stamford Bridge ahead of the September 1 transfer deadline and Newcastle have now emerged as his preferred destination.
Eddie Howe’s side remain on the lookout for a new centre-forward following the Benjamin Sesko blow, with the striker snubbing interest from the Magpies in order to join Manchester United last week, and are considering Jackson as one of the alternatives.
Chelsea are said to be open to selling the 24-year-old, despite only handing him a fresh nine-year contract last year, and are believed to be in talks with a number of teams in the Premier League and across Europe.
The arrivals of centre-forwards Liam Delap and Joao Pedro have pushed Jackson down Enzo Maresca’s pecking order this summer and the Senegalese forward has now ‘accepted’ it is best for him to leave.
Nicolas Jackson Wants St James’ Park Move
Nicolas Jackson
According to Burt, Jackson’s chances of securing a move to Newcastle could be largely dependent on whether the St James’ Park chiefs sell Alexander Isak before the deadline.
The Sweden international remains a strong target for Premier League winners Liverpool but has reportedly been told by the Newcastle board that he is not for sale this summer.
However, Liverpool are believed to still be exploring the 25-year-old in a saga that may run until deadline day, with Newcastle standing firm on their £150m asking price.
It is believed Jackson has told Chelsea he wants to leave before the deadline and the Blues have agreed to sell, following yet another summer spree on new forwards.
The 'world-class' 24-year-old striker was left out of the squad for Friday’s friendly against Bayer Leverkusen and has been training on his own, with anticipation over his Stamford Bridge exit growing.
Newcastle’s summer business has picked up pace again in recent days, with AC Milan defender Malick Thiaw set to be announced as the latest signing in a £35m deal.
Sign up toThe GIVEMESPORT Reportto get exclusive daily updates from Fabrizio Romano, Ben Jacobs, Dean Jones and Tom Bogert sent straight to your inbox.