thechelseachronicle.com

Potential nightmare for Chelsea as Manchester City consider hijacking £60m summer transfer - journalist

Chelsea have been pretty ruthless in the transfer market so far this summer, however face the prospect of potentially missing out on one of their key targets before the window closes.

The Blues have already added plenty of talent to the first team squad this summer, with a number of new signings set to make their Premier League debuts against Crystal Palace.

Joao Pedro has got off to an electric start in a Chelsea shirt, while Liam Delap has a handful of goals under his belt already too.

There is also the exciting talent of Estevao Willian and Jamie Gittens on the wings, although rumours suggesting they are set to sign a new attacker continue to circle.

Xavi Simons playing for RB Leipzig against VfB Stuttgart in the German Bundesliga.

Photo by Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Manchester City considering hijacking Chelsea’s deal for Xavi Simons

One player who has been strongly linked with a switch to Stamford Bridge is Xavi Simons, with RB Leipzig potentially parting ways with their two key players after Benjamin Sesko’s exit.

Simons is very keen on a move to Chelsea, however interest from another Premier League giant could be about to test how strong that desire to move to West London is.

According to journalist Sacha Tavolieri, Manchester City are now keen on the Dutchman as they attempt to replace their own potential outgoings.

He said: “Manchester City enters the race for Xavi Simons! With the likely departure of Savinho, the Citizens have reestablished contact with super agent Ali Barat in an attempt to lure Xavi away from Chelsea.

MORE CHELSEA STORIES

“On the Chelsea side, talks are still on. Nothing changes.”

🚨🔵⚪️🇳🇱 EXCLUSIVE: Manchester City enters the race for Xavi Simons!

💰 With the likely departure of Savinho, the Citizens have reestablished contact with super agent Ali Barat in an attempt to lure Xavi away from Chelsea.

🔵 On #CFC side, talks are still 🔛

Nothing changes.… pic.twitter.com/klprBkND9Y

— Sacha Tavolieri (@sachatavolieri) August 11, 2025

View Tweet

Savinho is being strongly linked with a move to Tottenham, while Jack Grealish looks set for a switch to Everton in an attempt to get back to regular playing time.

Chelsea FC v Manchester City - Pre-Season Friendly

Photo by Darren Walsh/Chelsea FC via Getty Images

Chelsea’s progress on signing Simons

Despite reports stating that Chelsea had agreed a £60m deal for Simons, there seems to be no such agreement in place as we approach the final few weeks of the transfer window.

It has been said that the Blues are waiting for a couple of players in attack to leave the club before advancing with the deal.

Christopher Nkunku and Nicolas Jackson are being strongly linked with a move away from Chelsea, and the former has emerged as a target of Leipzig while the two clubs discuss Simons.

Neither player was involved in either of the Blues’ pre-season friendlies, and Enzo Maresca looks to be building his side without the duo in mind.

Read full news in source page