newcastleworld.com

Newcastle United can sign midfielder for £30m this week - on one condition

Bilal El Khannouss has featured for Leicester City in their pre-season preparations.placeholder image

Bilal El Khannouss has featured for Leicester City in their pre-season preparations. | Michael Regan/Getty Images

Newcastle United have until the end of the week before the midfielder’s release clause expires.

Midfield is an area Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is looking to strengthen having last month sold Sean Longstaff to Leeds United and lost Joe Willock up to six weeks with an Achilles injury.

“We had six and we want six,” Howe said recently, “Now we’re down to four, so that’s an issue for us. That is a position that we are looking in. We don’t think Joe Willock’s injury is serious. I gave a prognosis of four to six weeks, but that could be less. But I think it is an area that is a bit of a concern.”

Newcastle United consider activating Bilal El Khannouss’ release clause

And a player under serious consideration, according to the Daily Telegraph, is Leicester star El Khannouss.

The Moroccan international only joined the Foxes last summer from Genk for a reported £19.5million and was one of the few bright sparks during a campaign that ended in relegation from the Premier League.

El Khannouss assisted both goals as Leicester beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 in their Championship opener on Sunday. And that could prove to be his last for the club, with the Magpies considering activating his £30million release which expires later this week.

Newcastle United still active in the summer transfer window

Newcastle have strengthened three positions so far this summer, with centre-back Malick Thiaw joining alongside goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale and winger Anthony Elanga. There is, however, still work to do before the window shuts on September 1.

The Magpies are yet to sign a replacement for Callum Wilson, although are hopeful of bringing in Brentford star Yoane Wissa, while the ongoing situation surrounding Alexander Isak is causing uncertainty.

Asked about incomings on Saturday, Howe said: “We've got some work to do, if we can, in the transfer market, because I think that's the only place that we can get what we need in the next few weeks.

Read More

“As I've said many times, we're going to be actively trying to bring players in. Within the squad, I think we've got some very, very good players. There's no doubt in the quality.

“We have an unbalanced squad currently with a few departures, and the numbers coming in the other way haven't quite adjusted to that. So, we have work to do. In terms of our fitness levels and where the current players are at,

“I think we're in a good place. I think they needed this back-to-back game this weekend. They needed the 90 minutes, and then we need another good week's training, I think, to be our optimum level for what will be a very tough opening to the Premier League.”

Howe’s side travel to Aston Villa in their Premier League opener this weekend.

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page