Alexander Isak ahead of Newcastle's final 2024-25 match
Alexander Isak ahead of Newcastle's final 2024-25 match
Newcastle striker is 'adamant' he has played his final game for the club, it has been claimed. The Sweden star top-scored for the club last season but has attracted interest from this summer.
earlier in the window. However, the latest development could lead to a deal going through before deadline day.
According to , Isak has no plans to reintegrate with Newcastle's squad even if no deal is agreed before the September 1 deadline. The publication suggests Isak held the position the 2024-25 season would be his last at the club ever since he was informed last year that he wouldn't be getting a new contract.
Isak's current deal runs until the summer of 2028, meaning are unlikely to be forced to sell on the cheap. However, the latest development may make it easier for Liverpool to land the former Real Sociedad star.
The Reds' first bid was worth up to £120million including add-ons. However, an improved offer around £150m could yet prove sufficient.
Newcastle take on in their opener on Saturday, with Liverpool beginning their campaign against on Friday night. Isak is not expected to play a part, but a Liverpool move before deadline day would allow him to turn out for the champions early in the campaign.
The striker is said to have informed Newcastle boss Eddie Howe of his desire to leave before the end of last season. He finished the campaign as Newcastle's top scorer to help them qualify for the , but doesn't look likely to play any part in the next European journey.
Eddie Howe with Alexander Isak
Eddie Howe with Alexander Isak
(
Image:
PA)
Liverpool have already spent big during the summer transfer window, including a record-breaking move for Florian Wirtz. Hugo Ekitike has also joined the club, but exits for Luis Diaz and Darwin Nunez have left room for another attacking recruit.
Newcastle let Isak's back-up leave on a free earlier in the summer, and have seen a number of other attacking targets move elsewhere. Ekitike was on their radar before he moved to Anfield, while Joao Pedro chose and Benjamin Sesko opted for a move to .
A number of other options have emerged, with Howe's side running out of time to add the reinforcements they need. Porto striker Samu Omorodion is among those said to be in the mix, 12 months on from a move to Chelsea collapsing. while an on-off pursuit of Brentford star Yoane Wissa looks as though it could still result in a move in the coming weeks.
and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our
Sky Sports deal
Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of