anfieldhome.com

Surprising truth behind Alexander Isak not joining Newcastle squad revealed

The absence of Alexander Isak from Newcastle United’s squad has sparked plenty of questions.

The answer, though, was apparently known long before this summer. According to David Ornstein (via The Athletic), the Swedish striker told the club last year that the 2024/25 season would be his last at St. James’ Park.

That message was not a one-off. Isak reportedly repeated his decision two weeks before the end of last season, and again after the final game.

As @David_Ornstein has confirmed, Isak informed Newcastle last summer that it would be his final season. He then repeated that two weeks before the campaign ended and after their last game… https://t.co/J6yOXHeKGV

— Melissa Reddy (@MelissaReddy_) August 12, 2025

The 25-year-old made it clear to Eddie Howe that he wanted a fresh challenge. His mind, it seems, was made up months ago.

Isak has not been involved in Newcastle’s pre-season plans and will probably not feature in the Premier League opener against Aston Villa.

Reports claim he has “no desire to reintegrate” into the squad. While Howe is said to still hope for a change of heart, sources close to the player suggest there is no turning back.

ALSO READ: Alexander Isak waiting for Liverpool’s second bid as priority decided

What’s stopping Newcastle from selling Alexander Isak?

Liverpool remain interested after seeing a £110 million bid rejected. Newcastle’s valuation stands at £150 million, and they reportedly want two strikers lined up before making a sale — one to replace Isak and another to cover Callum Wilson.

Names like Yoane Wissa, Nicolas Jackson, and Goncalo Ramos have been linked.

There’s also a fixture twist. Liverpool visit St. James’ Park on August 25, and Newcastle may prefer to delay any deal until after that game.

Selling their top scorer to a direct rival days before kick-off would be like handing them a free shot on goal.

Behind the scenes, frustration grows in Isak’s camp. They believe they gave the club plenty of time to prepare for his exit and find a replacement.

Instead, missed transfer targets have left Newcastle in a difficult spot. The risk now is being left with an unhappy player — or scrambling for signings in the final days of the window.

ALSO READ: Alexander Isak’s one condition for rejoining Newcastle squad revealed

Read full news in source page