liverpoolecho.co.uk

Paul Merson makes Alexander Isak to Liverpool transfer claims after drastic new twists

Paul Merson has had his say on the Alexander Isak transfer saga after his attempts to force through a move from Newcastle Unite to Liverpool continued

Paul Merson believes Liverpool do not need to up their original £110m bid for Newcastle United's wantaway striker Alexander Isak

Paul Merson believes Liverpool do not need to up their original £110m bid for Newcastle United's wantaway striker Alexander Isak

Another day, another twist in the Alexander Isak to Liverpool transfer saga. Not only has the wantaway striker reportedly told Newcastle United he will never play for them again, but the home he was living in, in the North East, is said to have been put on the rental market.

Isak, it is abundantly clear, wants Liverpool. But whether his dream becomes a reality in the final three weeks of the transfer window remains another thing entirely.

What we do know is that the Reds bid £110m for his services. However, they saw that bid rejected, with the Magpies said to be holding out for a mind-boggling £150m, and they have no plans to make a second offer.

But that doesn't mean Liverpool have ended their interest. Instead, they are keeping a watchful eye on developments at Newcastle, whose attempts to bolster their forward line, let alone replace their 27-goal top scorer from last season, have so far hit a brick wall.

With the Magpies also keen to avoid seeing Isak line up for the Premier League champions when they head to St James' Park on Monday, August 25, it would appear this transfer saga will drag on until the last week of the window.

Paul Merson, however, believes the Reds will not increase their original £110m proposal after the striker's latest actions.

"Newcastle rejected an opening offer of £110m plus add-ons but now, after what Isak has said and done, Liverpool are not going to offer any more," wrote the Arsenal legend for Sky Sports. "Why would they?

"They know the situation and know Newcastle don't want an unhappy player.

"The timing from Isak is interesting. Maybe he thought a deal over £110m would be enough. Newcastle held firm but now he obviously just wants to get away from St James' Park.

"His hand has now been forced and that's why he is saying he won't play again for Newcastle.

"He potentially thought the initial offer would get accepted and he wouldn't have to do anything. He thought he'd be leaving a hero but now that has gone."

Content Image

Content Image

Liverpool are many pundits' favourites to reclaim the Premier League title they won at a canter last season with some even believing the arrival of Isak would make it a formality.

But Merson, who pipped the Reds to two First Division championships during his playing career at Arsenal, does not agree with that.

And he believes Arne Slot's side, who lost the Community Shield to Crystal Palace on Sunday, have a bigger transfer priority.

The former England international said: "If I was Liverpool, I’d be looking more for a centre-back than Isak. Arne Slot has enough options going forward without needing Isak.

"Hugo Ekitike looked very good against Crystal Palace. They desperately need another defender.

"I hear a lot of people saying that if Liverpool get Isak it’s game over in the Premier League. It’s finished. I don’t see that at all."It causes more problems, if anything. Where does Cody Gakpo play? There’s Florian Wirtz, Mo Salah and then Ekitike."If Isak arrives, they can’t all play. Slot will have to mix things up and change things constantly to keep everyone happy and that causes problems."

The Reds kick-off their Premier League campaign at home to Bournemouth on Friday (August 15) before travelling to Newcastle (August 25) and then hosting last season's runners-up Arsenal (August 31).

The transfer window closes at 7pm on Monday, September 1.

Read full news in source page