Alexander Isak has been handed a shirt number by Newcastle despite the striker's ongoing absence from the squad amid speculation over his future on Tyneside
Andy Gilpin Deputy Editor in Chief and Damian Spellman PA
14:54, 12 Aug 2025
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe and striker Alexander Isak on the sideline
(Image: PA Wire/PA Images)
Newcastle striker Alexander Isak has been allocated a shirt number for the upcoming season despite continuing speculation surrounding his future at the club.
The 25-year -ld Sweden international, who was the target of a turned-down £110million offer from Premier League champions Liverpool, has been training in isolation since pulling out of the club's pre-season tour to Singapore and South Korea with a reported thigh problem.
Magpies boss Eddie Howe confirmed at the weekend that the former Real Sociedad forward was physically ready to play, but couldn't be selected after expressing his desire to weigh up his options this summer.
However when Newcastle, who value the player at £150m, published their squad list for the new campaign on Tuesday, his name appeared alongside the number 14, the shirt he has worn since his £63m switch from Sociedad three summers ago.
The iconic number nine shirt, recently vacated by Callum Wilson and previously donned by Tyneside legends Jackie Milburn, Malcolm Macdonald and Alan Shearer, continues to remain unoccupied.
The squad announcement came as the tug-of-war over Isak, who still has three years left on his St James' Park deal, continued to intensify behind closed doors.
Article continues below
Newcastle’s Alexander Isak (right) is congratulated by head coach Eddie Howe after being substituted against Wolves
Newcastle’s Alexander Isak (right) is congratulated by head coach Eddie Howe after being substituted against Wolves(Image: PA Archive/PA Images)
Following Saturday's 2-0 Sela Cup loss to Atletico Madrid, Howe struck a measured yet resolute tone regarding the situation.
He said: "I think I've said many times, he is contracted to us. He's our player. The club basically make the decision on his future. I don't know what that will be.
"Of course, I have a preferred outcome on the best and strongest squad possible, but also I want players that really want to play for this football club."
Newcastle United have maintained since the end of last season that their star player Isak is not for sale. Despite rumours that a substantial offer could sway them, the club remains firm in its stance.
However, there are whispers that Isak may be reintegrated into the team, even though sources close to him suggest he has no intention of playing for the club again.
Article continues below
The Magpies, already on the hunt for a replacement for Wilson, have been pragmatic in their approach, making significant strides in their pursuit of several forwards.
While they've missed out on Hugo Ekitike and Benjamin Sesko, they're still in the running for Brentford's Yoane Wissa.
However, they won't consider selling Isak, even for the right price, unless they can find a suitable replacement to fill the void his departure would create. As of now, neither of these conditions has been met.