bostonherald.com

Wyc Grousbeck reportedly out as Celtics governor; Bill Chisholm to take control

Wyc Grousbeck will have a smaller role than expected when the Celtics’ new ownership group takes control, according to a new report.

ESPN’s Shams Charania and Ramona Shelburne on Tuesday reported that Grousbeck “will no longer stay on as governor” of Boston’s NBA franchise despite initial plans for him to do so.

When a collective led by Bill Chisholm reached an agreement earlier this year to buy the Celtics for $6.1 billion, it was announced that Grousbeck would remain in his current role as team governor and CEO for three more seasons before ceding those duties to Chisholm in 2028.

Instead, Grousbeck will keep his title as CEO but will be an alternate governor behind Chisholm, per ESPN.

“My partners and I have immense respect for Wyc, the entire Grousbeck family and their indelible contributions to the Celtics organization over the last 23 years,” Chisholm said in a statement in March. “We look forward to learning from Wyc and partnering with Brad Stevens, Joe Mazzulla and the talented team and staff to build upon their success as we work to bring more championships home to Boston.”

Grousbeck, the face of Boston’s ownership group since his family and its partners bought the team for $360 million in 2002, said at the time that Chisholm “has asked me to run the team as CEO and Governor for the first three years, and stay on as his partner, and I am glad to do so.”

It was not immediately clear what prompted this change of plans.

The sale of the Celtics and transfer of governor duties to Chisholm “is expected to be complete within the next week,” per ESPN’s report.

Originally Published: August 12, 2025 at 11:31 AM EDT

Read full news in source page