footballfancast.com

David Ornstein: Liverpool "stepping up efforts" to sign new £50k-a-week star with "talks" open

Liverpool are now "stepping up efforts" to bring a "fantastic" player to Anfield this summer with talks open, according to reliable journalist Lewis Steele.

Slot sends warning to Liverpool players

The Premier League champions were far from their best in the Community Shield on Sunday, with Crystal Palace getting the better of them on penalties.

Arne Slot clearly isn't taking anything for granted heading into the new season, warning his Liverpool players that they have to be "more ready" than they were last weekend.

"This (Palace) was the number 12 team of last season, a very good team especially towards the end (of the season) so that maybe they are better than the 12th position they ended up in. If this is the number 12 team who can make it such a hard time for you then you know what you have to expect if you are going to play here (in England).

Ekitike-Slot-Liverpool

"This is what they know now and the ones that played here for a longer time also know that if you've won the league, if you wear a Liverpool shirt then everybody wants to win desperately against you. We have to be more ready for that than we were today."

Things have gone quieter on the transfer front in the past week or so at Liverpool, but a new update suggests that their interest in a key target could be set to increase.

Liverpool in talks to sign Guehi from Crystal Palace

According to David Ornstein on X, Liverpool are now "stepping up efforts" to sign Marc Guehi, with the Reds still opening "talks" for the Palace captain.

"Liverpool in talks with Crystal Palace for Marc Guehi. No bid yet but LFC stepping up efforts. Player terms also need agreeing - England defender wants game time assurances before WC. If no move now 25yo will leave CPFC for free in 2026."

Guehi was impressive against the Reds in the Community Shield, marshalling the defence well, and he still arguably stands out as the best choice to bolster their defence this summer.

Parma teenager Giovanni Leoni is also a great long-term option, having been linked with Liverpool, but the Palace ace is already a proven top-level player, with Eagles manager Oliver Glasner lauding him this time last year.

“That's always for me the most important thing, that the players tell me that they like to play with us, that they like to play for Crystal Palace, that they like to play for the team here, and this Marc told me very often. But sometimes people tell and act the opposite way, but Marc told me and he acted in the same way, so he really showed his fantastic character again."

Admittedly, the £50,000-a-week Guehi won't be arriving on the cheap, but with only one year remaining on his current Palace deal, Liverpool will hope they can still sign him for a cut-price amount.

Read full news in source page