Newcastle United and Liverpool fans are desperate to know how the Alexander Isak situation is going to play out.
The 25-year-old is still a Newcastle United player, but it remains to be seen for how much longer. Isak wants to join Liverpool, and is doing his best to secure a move to Anfield.
It was reported on Tuesday morning that Isak never wants to play for Newcastle again, seeing his Toon career as over.
That puts the pressure back on Newcastle United, who have been searching far and wide for an Isak alternative. Their search has been unsuccessful so far, and it is currently unclear who could arrive at St James’ Park.
The situation is a real mess, and there are three ways that it could play out from here. That is according to the Daily Mail’s Craig Hope, who has provided an update on the Isak saga on his YouTube channel.
Scenario A: Alexander Isak has a change of heart
Hope’s first scenario feels like the least likely, as he suggests that Isak could complete a remarkable U-turn now and decide he is happy to play for Newcastle United again.
“Scenario A is that Isak says ‘I tell you what, I’m ready to come back, I see you’ve tried’,” he said.
MORE NEWCASTLE STORIES
There is no denying that Newcastle have tried to bring in a player that can replace Isak. That is probably why they went big on Joao Pedro and Hugo Ekitike, and it was even more evident when they targeted Benjamin Sesko.
However, Pedro went to Chelsea, Ekitike chose Liverpool and Sesko is a Manchester United player.
Alexander Isak looks dejected after Everton score a goal against Newcastle United in the Premier League.
Photo by George Wood/Getty Images
Scenario B: Newcastle United find an Alexander Isak replacement
The second potential outcome that Hope has spelled out would see Newcastle get the Isak replacement they are after and a deal is agreed with Liverpool.
“Scenario B is that Newcastle get the replacements they want,” he said.
“An unhappy player who is clearly a toxic presence now will move to Liverpool. It happens at a good value.”
That would be the ideal situation for all parties. However, the problem lies with Newcastle United getting a replacement.
There are question marks surrounding Nicolas Jackson, while Aston Villa do not want to sell Ollie Watkins.
Scenario C: Alexander Isak is forced to stay at Newcastle United
Hope’s third option is the one that he believes is becoming more and more likely the closer we get to the end of the transfer window.
“Scenario C, and this with each passing day is becoming more likely, is that Alexander Isak stays at Newcastle against his will and wishes,” he added.
“Having tried and failed to get those replacements in, he says ‘ok guys, I’ll come back in and I’ll play next season’.
“I’ve got that as scenario C. With each passing day, minute, hour, that becomes more likely. Come September 1st, I don’t think Alexander Isak will say he’s not playing. That is no good for anybody.”
That has to be the most likely outcome as it stands. Newcastle are going to struggle to get a replacement, while refusing to play is not a realistic long-term solution for Isak. He will have ambitions of going to the World Cup with Sweden next summer.
Whether he goes now or in 12 months, Alexander Isak will almost certainly not be a Newcastle United player by the end of next summer. The situation feels beyond repair.
However, it would not be a major surprise if he ends up playing for Newcastle United again, despite all of this. If and when that does happen, the reaction from the Toon Army will be very interesting.