manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Manchester United suffer transfer blow after personal terms 'agreed' as Harry Kane 'eyed'

The latest Manchester United transfer news ahead of this weekend's Premier League opener against Arsenal

(Image: PA)

Manchester United will return to Premier League action this weekend when they welcome Arsenal to Old Trafford.

After an underwhelming 17th-place finish last season, the Reds know a strong start is important if they are to enjoy a better campaign this time around.

It will, however, be a different United side that lines up at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon, with Ruben Amorim adding new faces such as Matheus Cunha, Bryan Mbeumo and Benjamin Sesko to his ranks.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

Here, the Manchester Evening News looks at some of the news and transfer rumours you might've missed over the last 24 hours.

United suffer Gianluigi Donnarumma 'blow' as agreement reached

Manchester City have reportedly agreed personal terms with Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma over a move to the Etihad.

The 26-year-old Italy international has been linked with a move to the Premier League after he was deemed surplus to requirements at the Parc des Princes under Luis Enrique.

United were one of the Premier League clubs most frequently linked with a move for Donnarumma, though it seems that bitter rivals City are now looking to strike a move for the shot-stopper.

French publication L'Equipe claims that Donnarumma had been in talks with both United and City but it is the latter who have reached an agreement on personal terms with the former AC Milan prodigy.

MEN says: If reports are true and City have agreed a deal with Donnarumma, then it would be a bitter blow for United, because although the Italy international continues to divide opinion, he was a key pillar of the PSG side that won the Champions League and Ligue 1 title last term.

His experience of winning some of the biggest trophies in club football would be a welcome addition to Old Trafford for Amorim.

Manchester United keeping tabs on Harry Kane

Manchester United are reportedly keeping an eye on long-time target Harry Kane.

The 32-year-old, who joined Bayern Munich from Tottenham Hotspur in 2023, has a release clause in his contract which will come into play in January 2026 and could see him leave the Bundesliga champions for as little as £56m.

Kane, who won his first major trophy earlier this season, has two years remaining on his current deal.

MEN says: A move back to the Premier League, and more specifically, Manchester United, could be a tempting proposition for Kane, who is just 47 goals off Alan Shearer's Premier League record.

Read full news in source page