londonworld.com

'Deal still on' - Insider drops fresh Chelsea transfer update amid Man City links with £61m gem

Enzo Maresca and Pep Guardiola embrace ahead of a Premier League fixture.placeholder image

Enzo Maresca and Pep Guardiola embrace ahead of a Premier League fixture. | Getty Images

Chelsea are still targeting some big players before the transfer window closes

Chelsea have cause for optimism ahead of the beginning of the new Premier League season this weekend. The Blues face FA Cup and Community Shield winners Crystal Palace on Sunday in their opening fixture.

After a strong summer which was headlined by a 3-0 victory over PSG in the Club World Cup final, Chelsea are expected to have an impressive season - though it is not yet known just how far they can go.

Influential in this could be their remaining business in the final weeks of the transfer window, with several key targets still rumoured to arrive at Stamford Bridge before the window is up. The likes of Joao Pedro, Liam Delap, Jamie Gittens, Estevao and Jorrel Hato have already joined the Blues this summer and they could be joined by more familiar faces, while big-name stars such as Nicolas Jackson may be out of the exit door later this month.

Chelsea ‘talks ongoing’ with £61m gem despite Man City interest

The 22-year-old has also attracted interest from Manchester City in recent days, as Pep Guardiola’s side consider a hijack amidst speculation surrounding Savinho and a prospective move to Tottenham Hotspur. This may have provoked Chelsea to return to the negotiating table with a fresh offer.

Leipzig are expected to demand €70million (£61m) for the playmaker, though Chelsea have proposed the idea of including former Leipzig forward Christopher Nkunku in a deal, as per the report. The Blues are said to value the France international at £40m and it is understood that the German club would be interested in re-signing their former striker as a replacement for Benjamin Sesko.

Could Nkunku swap deal give Chelsea the edge in negotiations?

Chelsea have evidently realised that they must act fast to avoid Man City honing in on and securing one of their top targets in the remainder of the window. Previous indications were that personal terms had already been agreed between Simons and Chelsea, meaning it is just club to club negotiations which have stalled and given City the chance to enter the race for the Dutchman.

Leipzig are said to be keen on Nkunku but the question remains as to whether the player would like to return to his former club, whom he departed for £52m for the Blues in 2023 on a six-year deal. It is likely that Leipzig will not value Nkunku as highly as Chelsea do and they may insist that the two deals remain separate so that they can extract full value for Simons.

Guardiola’s City will no doubt be keeping a watchful eye on proceedings if negotiations do not progress in the coming days, as the Catalan would no doubt relish the chance to work with former La Masia starlet Simons. It is expected that Simons moves this summer and it will be interesting to see where his eventual destination ends up being.

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page